Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: monitor resolution?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    monitor resolution?

    Greetings.
    I can't seem to get my monitor to act right in my very first foray in the world of Linux and Knoppix. I have an old computer and moniter. It just looks crazy, with what appears to be several images of the desktop and the mouse pointer on it. I have tried to go back out into Windows and change the resolution and that didn't work. I've also tried the "cheats" suggested in some of the other related posts I could find in this site like "ctrl alt + " I'm assuming that is during the boot up of Koppix? I'm very new and very dumb. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! If you give me command line prompts, you will have to tell me how to get to where I will enter them!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    Type this at the boot prompt:

    knoppix screen=800x600

    or if the monitor is really, really old:

    knoppix screen=640x480

    Hope that helps.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    You may also want to add xvrefresh=60 to the above mentioned cheat codes and maybe the xmodule=??? code for your video card.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks bunches! I'll fumble and bumble around and see if I can find a place to punch that stuff in.

    Thanks again!

    New Dumbie

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    13
    If you are booting from the Live CD, hit F2 when the CD first starts up, then you can enter the cheats, something like:

    knoppix screen=800x600; knoppix xvrefresh=60

    I think the xvrefresh cheat is the key one. Knoppix seems to set the vertical refresh rate higher than older monitors can handle.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks! It worked!

    Now I've been trying to switch the desktop from the KDE to Ice or whatever that other one is. I have the cheat code, but it has a symbol in it that isn't on my keyboard. "desktop=fluxbox l icewm" The character inbetween fluxbox and icewm is what? I have used a lower case L to type here, but it doesn't work for inputting in the command line. Also, do I add the spaces inbetween the character and the fluxbox and icewm? Additionally, do I put Knoppix in before the command string? I have a "standard" USA 101 key, keyboard.

    Thanks for bearing with my ingnorance!

    New Dumbie

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: monitor resolution?

    Quote Originally Posted by new dumbie

    Now I've been trying to switch the desktop from the KDE to Ice or whatever that other one is. I have the cheat code, but it has a symbol in it that isn't on my keyboard. "desktop=fluxbox l icewm" The character inbetween fluxbox and icewm is what? I have used a lower case L to type here, but it doesn't work for inputting in the command line. Also, do I add the spaces inbetween the character and the fluxbox and icewm? Additionally, do I put Knoppix in before the command string? I have a "standard" USA 101 key, keyboard.

    The character you refer too is the pipe ( | ) or broken-bar key on my keyboard it is shift \. You do not need it to use a different desktop it is just being used as a seperator in the documents to use the Icewm for a cheat code you would boot with knoppix desktop=icewm if you want to use fluxbox then knoppix desktop=fluxbox you would of course add your other cheats to the line to boot properly.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Wow I actually got it to work! Thanks alot! May not seem like a big deal to you, but to enter Knoppix Lang=En Knoppix Desktop=Fluxbox and get it to fly is definitely a milestone for my feeble 'puter skills! Now my old dinosaur seems to respond a bit better and perhaps I can navigate around better and start learning something! I was starting to get kinda frustrated, but now it's OK...still having some trouble figuring out how to resize the entire screen size....it all seems to extend too far beyond my screen...but I'll figure it out...hopefully.

    Thanks for your help!!!

    Off topic, I know.....but when and if I ever do get the hang of working with any type of a Linux OS.....I'm looking for some OBJECTIVE input on which ONE to go with? I know how Lindows is looked at by the mainstream Linux crowd...and I'm not too wild 'bout their pay structure, but may end up with one of those Wal-Mart machines...I'm kinda leaning towards Libranet right now.....I'm strictly a HOME (only M$ experience) user and will have to have SOME Windows 98 and other M$ crap on my machine. Still, if there is another way to get going in Debian, well I dunno. I just want something that works. Not interested in writing code or buying new machines. Also not very thrilled about having to use the command line for input, but maybe I'll get over that.

    Any input greatly appreciated, as usual!

    New Dumbie

Similar Threads

  1. monitor
    By alghieri in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-06-2005, 04:09 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-26-2004, 01:23 AM
  3. Getting the monitor in the right resolution
    By Jez in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 05:42 PM
  4. 1440x900 pixels monitor resolution on laptop
    By abouzeis in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 04:45 PM
  5. Problemas al Instalar monitor , Installing Monitor
    By comanam in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 07:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



VMware SD-WAN Edge 640N VeloCloud Dell E42W EnterpriseFirewall 32GB picture

VMware SD-WAN Edge 640N VeloCloud Dell E42W EnterpriseFirewall 32GB

$127.50



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$219.99



Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install picture

Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install

$174.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



HPE Networking Instant On Secure Gateway Smart-Managed Switch (S0G33A#ABA) - New picture

HPE Networking Instant On Secure Gateway Smart-Managed Switch (S0G33A#ABA) - New

$269.99