Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Synaptic

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    Synaptic

    Hi guys,
    Sorry, a bit off topic but Im totally stuck. Just installed knoppix to my hd yesterday and also installed synaptic. However, I downloaded 2 things today with synaptic "rutebook" and "cookbook". They both downloaded fine and in the synaptic list it says they are both installed, but where the HELL are they????? I have searched for them for ages, looked in the etc/apt folder, used the search function and searched for *.doc and rutebook and cookbook, but I cant find them anywhere??? Im sorry, but im a complete linux beginner, and was hoping to use these files to learn some stuff, but I cant even find them to do that!!! Is there anybody that can tell me where stuff downloaded/installed with synaptic ends up ? I cant seem to find these files anywhere>

    Thanks to anybody that can help me.

    All the best

    Fortran

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Synaptic

    ' dpkg -L cookbook | less ' == Gives you a listing of the files inside the pkg. This is how I found the BitTorrent files. Sometimes you can ' |grep bin ' to see where the binaries went.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fortran
    Hi guys,
    Sorry, a bit off topic but Im totally stuck. Just installed knoppix to my hd yesterday and also installed synaptic. However, I downloaded 2 things today with synaptic "rutebook" and "cookbook". They both downloaded fine and in the synaptic list it says they are both installed, but where the HELL are they????? I have searched for them for ages, looked in the etc/apt folder, used the search function and searched for *.doc and rutebook and cookbook, but I cant find them anywhere??? Im sorry, but im a complete linux beginner, and was hoping to use these files to learn some stuff, but I cant even find them to do that!!! Is there anybody that can tell me where stuff downloaded/installed with synaptic ends up ? I cant seem to find these files anywhere>

    Thanks to anybody that can help me.

    All the best

    Fortran

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    As root do:

    updatedb

    locate rutebook

    /usr/share/doc/rutebook

    Since it's HTML you can of course view it with a browser.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    17
    I'm also new to Knoppix, but have the same problem with Synaptic. It will download the package I want to update, and further claim that its has installed the package - but in reality it has not installed (even if I run it from a root console). I've had to revert to "apt-get install Packagename" from a root console to actually do the installation.

    I also note that Synaptic cannot access my Repository file on my hard drive either. My repository file is there (I've viewed it using Midnight Commander), but Synaptic can't access it. I wonder if there is an issue with permissions?

    Being into Linux for about 10 days now, I pose more questions than I do answers, sorry :>) But at least I can confirm your experience.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    phillfri -- are you running Synaptic as root?

Similar Threads

  1. Synaptic cannot start
    By AJones in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-28-2005, 01:23 AM
  2. Synaptic problem
    By my2cents in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 06:30 PM
  3. GUI for APT - SYNAPTIC
    By legal in forum Ideas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 07:52 PM
  4. synaptic seems stuck
    By fingers99 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-17-2003, 05:56 PM
  5. Synaptic problem
    By my2cents in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2003, 07:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$285.97



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00