' dpkg -L cookbook | less ' == Gives you a listing of the files inside the pkg. This is how I found the BitTorrent files.Sometimes you can ' |grep bin ' to see where the binaries went.
Originally Posted by Fortran
Hi guys,
Sorry, a bit off topic but Im totally stuck. Just installed knoppix to my hd yesterday and also installed synaptic. However, I downloaded 2 things today with synaptic "rutebook" and "cookbook". They both downloaded fine and in the synaptic list it says they are both installed, but where the HELL are they????? I have searched for them for ages, looked in the etc/apt folder, used the search function and searched for *.doc and rutebook and cookbook, but I cant find them anywhere??? Im sorry, but im a complete linux beginner, and was hoping to use these files to learn some stuff, but I cant even find them to do that!!! Is there anybody that can tell me where stuff downloaded/installed with synaptic ends up ? I cant seem to find these files anywhere>
Thanks to anybody that can help me.
All the best
Fortran
' dpkg -L cookbook | less ' == Gives you a listing of the files inside the pkg. This is how I found the BitTorrent files.Sometimes you can ' |grep bin ' to see where the binaries went.
Originally Posted by Fortran
As root do:
updatedb
locate rutebook
/usr/share/doc/rutebook
Since it's HTML you can of course view it with a browser.
I'm also new to Knoppix, but have the same problem with Synaptic. It will download the package I want to update, and further claim that its has installed the package - but in reality it has not installed (even if I run it from a root console). I've had to revert to "apt-get install Packagename" from a root console to actually do the installation.
I also note that Synaptic cannot access my Repository file on my hard drive either. My repository file is there (I've viewed it using Midnight Commander), but Synaptic can't access it. I wonder if there is an issue with permissions?
Being into Linux for about 10 days now, I pose more questions than I do answers, sorry :>) But at least I can confirm your experience.
phillfri -- are you running Synaptic as root?

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch
$439.00
Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99
Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New
$101.99
Cisco Catalyst WS-C3650-12X48UQ-L 48 Port UPOE 4x 10G SFP+ Switch
$175.00
Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords
$205.00
Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch
$749.99
Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40
Cisco C1111-4P Integrated Services Router with ipbasek9 license
$200.00
Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99
Cisco QSFP-40G-SR-BD Module 10-2945-02 NEW CLAMSHELL
$45.50