Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: configs.tbz - how large could it get?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15

    configs.tbz - how large could it get?

    I am using /dev/sda1 to store configs.tbz (I boot with 'knoppix myconfig=/dev/sda1').

    I do not save a persistent home directory - not on any device.

    During one attempt to save my configuration, I had a problem saving.

    Turns out my 4 meg SmartMedia card did not have enough remaining free space on it, so I simply deleted a file and made room for a larger configs.tbz - all was fine.

    At present, the configs.tbz file is ~940 kb, and I have seen its' size range between 600k and 1.1 meg.

    Any ideas how large configs.tbz file might get? Will I need a bigger card?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: configs.tbz - how large could it get?

    --It depends on how many files were modified during the session. It can sometimes get bigger than a 1440k floppy. You might want to allocate 2meg or so, but then again you might not need that much.

    Quote Originally Posted by dunbar
    I am using /dev/sda1 to store configs.tbz (I boot with 'knoppix myconfig=/dev/sda1').

    I do not save a persistent home directory - not on any device.

    During one attempt to save my configuration, I had a problem saving.

    Turns out my 4 meg SmartMedia card did not have enough remaining free space on it, so I simply deleted a file and made room for a larger configs.tbz - all was fine.

    At present, the configs.tbz file is ~940 kb, and I have seen its' size range between 600k and 1.1 meg.

    Any ideas how large configs.tbz file might get? Will I need a bigger card?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15

    Cool!

    I was hoping the answer would be under 4 megs, thank you Dave.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Boston, MA, USA
    Posts
    2
    It can actually grow pretty big depending upon what applications you are using and how.

    Mine is currently 3.4 MB, since it appears to save not only my Mozilla IMAP login information, but also my mailbox headers (some 12,000 headers in 3 mailboxes).

    I don't think it stores Mozilla web caching data, but it may... it all depends upon where Mozilla stores the data and if KNOPPIX considers that part of the app configuration data.

    I've got a 128MB card that I have mostly full of pictures, so I can always delete another picture to make more space for KNOPPIX configs.

    ...Bruce

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hello all,

    Thanks for this information. I am experimenting
    with KNOPPIX with no hard drive. I have a
    modification of the script
    /usr/sbin/saveconfig
    which places configs.tbz in the folder
    /ramdisk/home/knoppix

    From here I burn it onto and restore it from
    a second drive which is a CDRW.

    Although it is slow I am able to keep and restore
    my settings with good reliability and low expense.
    Another advantage is that multuple backup or
    versions can be kept on a CDRW disks.
    An 8cm CDRW gives 240 MB of space and is easy
    to carry.

    Best Wishes,
    paradocs

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by brucec
    Mine is currently 3.4 MB, since it appears to save not only my Mozilla IMAP login information, but also my mailbox headers (some 12,000 headers in 3 mailboxes).
    Coolness; I guess I'll have to hunt around for a bigger card after all!

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by paradocs
    From here I burn it onto and restore it from
    a second drive which is a CDRW.
    I've never seen a CDRW treated as a live mounted read/write partition under Linux; I can do that with DirectCD 3.04 in Windows, and I would love to know if you are doing something similar with Knoppix.

    So, I wonder - what method are you using for burning that CDRW?

    Are you burning the configs.tbz directly to CDRW whan creating it, or do you manually burn it after saving it elsewhere?

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Iowa U.S.A.
    Posts
    226
    Hi dunbar and all,

    You are correct in understanding that CDWR for Linux does
    not yet allow reading and writing to up date the CD.
    Packet writing is being developed and will be here soon.

    My project is to explore KNOPPIX as a model for a basic
    user. When you shut down the user must run a script
    that blanks the whole CDRW in a second drive and saves
    all of your data in /ramdisk/home/knoppix This takes
    5 minutes and reports back if the data burn was able
    to be read and the check sum correct. I have not yet
    added encription.

    Simply boot with the floppy, the KNOPPIX CD, and your CDRW
    in place; you data is restored. You then work only from the
    ramdisk in memory. You must have faith in the electric grid
    since a power lapse will instantly destroy your work between
    backups. I rotate through about 10 CDRW disks.
    Up dating is easy, just use the latest KNOPPIX CD.

    While limited, this approach can furnish a student or kiosk
    user with portable leaning materials and back up for $5.

    I think the new Linux kernel will be able to do direct
    access to the CDRW and check for media flaws and
    make updates to part of the data. That will be great.

    Here is a link to burn_home
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/BurnHome

    Best Wishes
    paradocs

Similar Threads

  1. remastering with customized modem configs
    By uber in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2005, 01:20 PM
  2. configs.tbz crashed
    By eculbert2 in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2004, 01:36 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 02:18 AM
  4. Can't save configs to floppy
    By WebbPA in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 05:43 PM
  5. Multiple configs in the same medium
    By pedrobz in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2003, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$699.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00



8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU picture

8W81F Dell PowerEdge R840 24x SFF 4x Xeon Gold 6252 H730P 2x 1100W PSU

$1100.00