Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: KDE cannot start new sessions for any user but root

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67

    KDE cannot start new sessions for any user but root

    This is a hard drive install of 9/5/03 3.2. I have apt-get upgraded everything. Everything works, then suddenly something breaks somehow:

    I am using KDE and I have a couple users. Today I tried to login to one of the accounts, and the screen went blank and it clicked and then it came back to the KDM login screen.

    I deleted that user and added it again. Tried logging in, but no luck...same thing.

    I tried the other user, and couldn't login to that user either.

    Root is the only user who can login to KDM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Try this: log in as root then issue:

    passwd <username>

    Set the password and then try to log in as user. Post back with results please.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by rickenbacherus
    Try this: log in as root then issue:

    passwd [username]

    Set the password and then try to log in as user. Post back with results please.
    Did this before, and did it again, no luck. If there is a password mismatch, KDM says "Failed", but it does not. The screen goes blank and then KDM boots back up and I see the grey background and then the login box and the nice background I selected.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Hmm....to try to isolate the problem, I tried logging in as another user from Konsole. I've had no problem logging in as root using SSH but I haven't tried logging in as another user.

    I do "su [username]" at the root prompt. I've tried it with all the of the users, and it says the same thing:

    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied
    bash: /dev/null: Permission denied

    This continues to be output continuously and I have to CONTROL+C.

    What is su doing that it's interacting with /dev/null?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    hmm....after control+C I get:

    bash-2.05b$

    I then thought to do a "whoami", which said "guest2", which is the user I did su to. Something is messed up....

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    67
    Oh.......a couple days ago, I remember, I did this:

    touch f.mp3
    mv f.mp3 /dev/null
    OVERWRITE? Y

    I thought that the .mp3 would be moved to /dev/null and disappear, so the OVERWRITE question made no sense, but I replaced my block device mystical /null with an empty file. Login pipes pam output to /dev/null, and it was saying permission denied because the file I created f.mp3 did not have group write or something as the block device did.

    Luckily I had backed up my home dir and I just reinstalled off the CD. I did not believe it but when I restored my home dir all my prefs were back. A manual apt-get upgrade is still required, but that's pretty impressive.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by lavaman094

    Luckily I had backed up my home dir and I just reinstalled off the CD. I did not believe it but when I restored my home dir all my prefs were back. A manual apt-get upgrade is still required, but that's pretty impressive.
    LOL! That's pretty good never heard that before, a couple of other things you may want to backup the files you make changes to in the /etc directory a new kernel and header packages if you compiled them and dpkg --get-selections > selections.txt to get your installed packages then if you ever restore again dpkg --set-selections < selections.txt then dselect update and finally apt-get dselect-upgrade will upgrade using the restored package list giving you the same packages as before the re-install then restore the /etc config files and you have your system back.

Similar Threads

  1. How do i log in as root user?
    By spacedude89 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
  2. How to Use Sessions , in Multi User Environment.
    By your_raj in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-21-2005, 12:02 PM
  3. Root User
    By NewGuy in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-25-2004, 02:59 AM
  4. cann't start kde as user
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 10:49 PM
  5. Cannot start further X sessions
    By lavaman094 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-14-2003, 10:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts picture

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts

$69.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99