Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: New to Linux

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    New to Linux

    First of all, I am totally new to Linux. With that said. . .I downloaded the iso image of Knoppix and burned it to a CD.

    My computer wouldn't boot it from the CD right so I created a boot disk.
    This worked and Knoppix booted up ok except for one error message. Everytime I boot up it says:

    You passed an undefined mode number
    I press RETURN and it comes up with:

    Video Adapter VESA VOA
    Then it gives me 6 choices of different modes and I select 0, and it usually boots up right. Sometimes though it will come up:

    Probing SCSI. . .aic7xxx.o
    and freezes there.

    Also I can't get my configuration to save. I went to K>Knoppix>Save Configuration and I saved it to the floppy drive. Then I rebooted and typed Knoppix floppyconf and it didn't work.

    Any help would be great, Thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Try using the cheat code knoppix vga=normal noscsi xvrefresh=60 you may want to look at some other codes like screen & xmodule for your video card as well.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6
    Ok I got it to boot without an error and I also got it to save my configuration on my boot floppy.

    The only thing is that the config didnt save my resolution.

    I went to the Control Center and went to the Display Settings. It doesn't have a name and model for my screen (I am using a Gateway laptop), so It has Monitor0 and I click on that and change the setting from 640x480 to 1024x768 and then save my config and next time I boot it is back on 640x480.

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Did you try screen=1024x678 as a cheat before you saved the configuration to the floppy? You may also want to try fb1024x768 as a cheat code to get the proper screen you want.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6
    I tried both the screen= and fb and neither one of them would boot with 1024x768 resolution. Nothing will work right because I can't see the whole thing because it is bigger than the screen.

    Does anybody know how to save your resolution settings?

Similar Threads

  1. Able to dual boot XP and linux but Linux goes to GRUB, help
    By istoleapig in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2005, 09:28 AM
  2. Printing: XP to Linux or Linux to XP
    By mpeden in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2004, 12:09 AM
  3. New to Linux and need to know how to become disturbum linux
    By ziggyrafiq in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-12-2004, 10:40 PM
  4. Dizinha Linux, New project for "Small" Linux
    By Lame_Duck in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 05:19 PM
  5. Microsoft-Linux!(MS-Linux)
    By bongski55 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 04:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2 picture

Dell PowerEdge T430 8 x 3.5 Hot Plug 2X E5-2680 V3 Twelve Core 2.5Ghz 192GB 3X 2

$949.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health picture

KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health

$360.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA  HDD picture

Inspur LSI YZCA-00424-101 12Gbps SAS 3.0 RAID Controller CARD HBA HDD

$14.99



G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only picture

G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only

$200.00



Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset) picture

Serial ATA two-port SATA PCI card (SiI3112 sil3112 chipset)

$18.99