Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: How to get D-Link 650 (or other Prism2 cards) working

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    1

    How to get D-Link 650 (or other Prism2 cards) working

    I just spent the past two hours figuring out this exact problem, hopefully my experience can help others. First of all, Knoppix detects all hardware with no problem (Sony Vaio laptop with Realtek 8139 ethernet controller and D-Link 650 WiFi card) and installs the right drivers for them. If you look in the wlan configuration file under /etc/pcmaia/wlan-ng.opts, you will see that it's looking for an access point with the SSID of "linux-wlan"

    <quote>
    #=======INFRASTRUCTURE STATION START===================
    # SSID is all we have for now
    AuthType="opensystem" # opensystem | sharedkey (requires WEP)
    # Use DesiredSSID="" to associate with any AP in range
    DesiredSSID="linux-wlan"
    </quote>

    Well, obviously the SSID of my access point (D-Link 713P) is not "linux-wan", so I went in there and change it to "linux-wlan", reboot the router, and restart Knoppix, voila! wireless network up and running.

    I think the preferable solution is to have Knoppix look for the SSID of "default" which is the default value for D-Link 713P access point, not sure if this is the case for other access points. That way, no change is required at all. But I'm still extremely impressed with the way Knoppix works, keep up the fine work.

  2. #2
    Sioban
    Guest
    Hum not a quite good idea...

    changing the ssid on the router to fit the one with knoppix is not a secure way for wlan...

    I've just spent hours (like you) to figure how I can configure SSID in Knoppix for my dwl-650 and found the good options for wlanctl-ng, but I have no idea what to do next (what need to be relaunch, etc)

    Maybe I will look for the disk with configuration options, but i'm not sure it will help.

    If you know how to configure SSID in knoppix, I will be happy if you can share...

  3. #3
    rcaskey
    Guest

    Problems Also

    Yes, I am having the same problem as you, moreover the 713p firmware is horrible, and sometimes when I change settings on the router port forwarding mysteriously stops working, and sometimes it takes weeks before something will cause it to kick back in, so I am really not wanting to change that name

    I'v also got the 650 as well. I tried using wlconfig, but got some permission denied errors. Anyone else had better luck?

  4. #4
    Guest
    I'm not sure what the default SSID should be in Knoppx, I know if they use "any" then many more wireless cards would work out-of-the-box, but to answer your question about setting the SSID manually, you can try ejecting your card and re-inserting it after you've made the change to wlan-ng.opts, hopefully the PCMCIA hotplug manager will reload the driver for it, now using the correct settings.

  5. #5
    Guest
    rcaskey, regarding your permission problems, you have to run wlconfig as root, get a root shell from Knoppix first.

  6. #6
    Sioban
    Guest

    Success

    OK guys I'm writing right now from my Dell inspiron 8000 with Dlink Wireless DWL 650, knoppix launched and connected to the network

    The method :

    1- cp /KNOPPIX/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts /ramdisk
    2- rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
    3- ln -s /ramdisk/wlan-ng.opts /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
    4- edit /ramdisk/wlan-ng.opts

    To set up SSID : Modify DesiredSSID or SSID value
    Modify what you need here.

    Remove wireless pcmcia card, replug it.

    If you have DHCP it works directly.

    Question for KNOPPIX developpers : why not putting the whole /KNOPPIX/etc in ramdisk ? so you can edit it at your need (it's only 14Mo).

    My 2 cents

    Sioban

    PS: There's maybe another method, this one works.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    3

    Re: Success

    Quote Originally Posted by Sioban
    OK guys I'm writing right now from my Dell inspiron 8000 with Dlink Wireless DWL 650, knoppix launched and connected to the network

    The method :

    1- cp /KNOPPIX/etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts /ramdisk
    2- rm /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
    3- ln -s /ramdisk/wlan-ng.opts /etc/pcmcia/wlan-ng.opts
    4- edit /ramdisk/wlan-ng.opts

    To set up SSID : Modify DesiredSSID or SSID value
    Modify what you need here.

    Remove wireless pcmcia card, replug it.

    If you have DHCP it works directly.

    Question for KNOPPIX developpers : why not putting the whole /KNOPPIX/etc in ramdisk ? so you can edit it at your need (it's only 14Mo).

    My 2 cents

    Sioban

    PS: There's maybe another method, this one works.
    works this to with an usb device?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 12:41 AM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2004, 10:48 AM
  3. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
  4. Prism2 Wireless Support
    By opel70 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 05:13 AM
  5. Wireless Cards
    By applecran in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 06:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45 picture

Juniper Networks Mist Wireless Access Points, Model AP45

$59.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



JUNIPER MPC10E-15C-MRATE MPC10E-15C-X MX MODULAR 15-PORT CONCENTRATOR 400G picture

JUNIPER MPC10E-15C-MRATE MPC10E-15C-X MX MODULAR 15-PORT CONCENTRATOR 400G

$39999.99



Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS picture

Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS

$8199.99



Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC picture

Juniper QFX5120-48Y-AFO 48 x 1/10/25GB SFP28 + 8 x 40/100GB Switch w/Dual AC

$10499.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch. picture

Juniper EX4300-24P 24 Port Gigabit PoE+ Switch.

$95.55