Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Nero 6 makes me cranky.

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    Nero 6 makes me cranky.

    for whatever reason, Nero is refusing to burn KNOPPIX from the .iso -

    using an Imation CD-R 700MB disc, no matter what prefernces i change, Nero will eject the disc and tell me i need one with larger capacity. I am an experienced user, and Nero has never let me down before, so this is a sad day.

    I'm off to try some other apps, but if anyone has ideas about how to fix this, please let me know.

    Oh yeah, I'm new around here, so hello everyone!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    You might check for a firmware upgrade for your CD-R drive from Nero's compatibility page. Someone else was having the same problem in another thread, and that turned out to be his problem.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    15
    Welcome new guy.....

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    firmware doesnt help...

    well, it turns out there was new firmware for my drive (lite-on 52-24-52), and it seemed promising. the update is said to improve stability for overburning.

    BUT...

    installing it messed up nero, which had to be reinstalled too. then, the updated firmware eliminated most of my burn speed options. i used to be able to burn at just about any speed up to 52x, but now i am limited to either 4x, 8x, or top speed. Grar!

    I have a few other ideas - namely i will try roxio (sob). i may also try a different brand of cd, although i dont think that will make a difference.

    but first thing's first - i going back to my old firmware. my cds can be burned at 32x at most, 52x is waaay too fast and 8x is out of the question...

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    yargh!!

    firmware is a permanent upgrade. i have to wait for them to release another update.


    ::sound of head smacking wall::

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    problem almost solved.

    well, i tried using roxio, and it burned the cd first try. sounds like nero is to blame, so im gonna have a look around their webpage for some answers (hopefully)

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41
    I don't know if this is relevant, but when I burn Knoppix with Nero I get a message about the disk capacity also. However, it doesn't say it can't burn the CD; it just says the CD will have to be finalized.

    Also check Ahead's web site to see if you have the latest update to Nero (free).

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Did some searching on Google, and found others have had this same problem with your Lite-On 52x24x52x drive, here:

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/archive/topic/69594.html

    Short version is to disable Smartburn in Nero, or use media that's certified to work at higher speeds (I didn't know this, but apparently Nero checks the blank CD-R).

    You can also find the older firmware here, if you wish to downgrade. Although maybe that's not such a good idea.

    I've never had a problem with Nero. With Roxio, on the other hand, I had an older version of EZ CD Creator that I uninstalled, and it wiped out a very important Windows driver, leaving me unable to start Windows. Feh.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    more news...

    eco2geek - thanks for the links. aside from the 17 pop ads, its nice to know that the older firmware is still there. however two things have happened:

    1st, as far i can tell, upgrading firmware is permanent. as of this morning though, that is not bad.

    i tried setting up something to burn before putting in my cd, and all of my burn speed options were there. so yea, it is smart burn. nice to know, and i alreadyt know how to disable it should i need to.

    but this doesnt really fix my main problem, which is for some reason, Nero complains that the cd is too small. no option to continue burning, no matter what i do. its different from the other people's problem where nero asks them to finalize the disc. my nero just ejects it and tells me to bugger off =)

    Roxio on the other hand, had no problems with it whatsoever, so now i have my knoppix disc and almost all s well in happy land.

    i will continue to experiement with nero and look throught their website for stuff.

    thanks for the help everyone.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Bug in Nero6.0.0.15

    After wasting 8 hours in trying diferent cd writers, firmware upgrades etc I finally figured it out that there is a bug in Nero 6.0.0.15. I downloaded Nero6patch.exe and applied the patch. I have this patch, if anybody needs it let me know. I ll upload it on my FTP Server. I created the CD successfully and it works like a champ.
    I have a little problem that it doesn't detect my inbuilt wireless card. I am running it on Dell Latitude C640.
    Thanks for everybody for the support I got on this forum.

    Quote Originally Posted by eco2geek
    Did some searching on Google, and found others have had this same problem with your Lite-On 52x24x52x drive, here:

    http://club.cdfreaks.com/archive/topic/69594.html

    Short version is to disable Smartburn in Nero, or use media that's certified to work at higher speeds (I didn't know this, but apparently Nero checks the blank CD-R).

    You can also find the older firmware here, if you wish to downgrade. Although maybe that's not such a good idea.

    I've never had a problem with Nero. With Roxio, on the other hand, I had an older version of EZ CD Creator that I uninstalled, and it wiped out a very important Windows driver, leaving me unable to start Windows. Feh.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Help with Nero 6 and Knoppix 3.3
    By wadz in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 01:10 PM
  2. SuSE makes a better live disc than Knoppix
    By BradC in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-14-2004, 07:11 PM
  3. Apache is cranky.
    By deps in forum Networking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-07-2003, 09:21 PM
  4. Nero Burning Problems
    By chefakito in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 02:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5

IBM 02YC027 Seagate ST2400MM0129 2.4TB 10K SAS 12Gb/s 2.5" Server Hard Drive

$200.00



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A picture

IBM Power S824 12Bay 4U Server - 2x Power8 CPU, 512GB DDR4, MT: 8286-42A

$1731.00



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99



IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 ) picture

IBM Server Rackmount Sliding Rail Kit ( Part Numbers: 00D9375 / 00D9374 )

$24.99