-
Junior Member
registered user
Installation goes nuts at 87%...
Up until about a day or two ago I had never used linux, so I'm still pretty new at this stuff. That being said, I'm pretty baffled as to what I should do in this situation and you folks seem knowledgeable in this field.
some specs:
700Mhz
320 Megs of Ram
roughly 30 gigs of hd space
I have 3 partitions: hda1 is NTFS with XP installed on it.
(Roughly 20 gigs)
hda2 is ext3 with... some of knoppix on it.
(Roughly 8 gigs)
hda3 is linux swap.
(Roughly 1 gig).
Every time I try to install either ext2 or ext3 it goes insane with errors at some point past 50%. I'm not sure with ext2 because I've only tried installing with it a couple times, but I've probably tried ext3 like 6 times and it always screws up at about 87%.
I can't remember the errors exactly, but I remember seeing some input/output errors and some stuff about sectors. It goes on with this shit for a while, then suddenly it shows 90% in the middle of all the mess and continues on with the installation.
At first I thought it might be a hardware issue (which pissed me off cause I just got this harddrive) because the 'thinking' sounds the computer makes change when it starts to get screwy. It sounds almost like a quite floppy drive.
But then, I tried installing Reifer (or whatever it is), and with only 1 error it installed. But then, it was a little gimpy:
When I first rebooted, it did its thing until the kmd came up, at which point it asked me for information and all that. Then it tried to finish booting, kept making that aforementioned 'thinking' sound, and pretty much hung up, so I just turned my comp off. When I rebooted, it sort of picked up where it left off. It took a while, but it booted into a useable kmd environment. I rebooted again after messing with the window appearances a bit, and it booted up considerably faster (though it still took about 5x as long at the splash screen as it does with the live-cd).
So, my point, I guess, would be... can anyone help me? I really want to use ext3.
Similar Threads
-
By rrolsbe in forum Ideas
Replies: 4
Last Post: 01-15-2005, 10:09 PM
-
By Mr.Redhat in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-11-2004, 02:46 PM
-
By bxb32001 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 13
Last Post: 10-26-2003, 12:36 PM
-
By publiusi in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 10-24-2003, 03:59 PM
-
By appel in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 12-21-2002, 11:47 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive
$318.99