Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Post install problems w/HD permissions & desktop icons

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568

    Post install problems w/HD permissions & desktop icons

    Pardon me if this has been answered in another thread - I just couldn't find it.

    I have two "vfat" partitions, hda1 and hdb1, that I'd like to be able to access under my normal user account (I created one). (Knoppix is installed on hda2.)

    By default, Knoppix set them up this way in /etc/fstab (I changed "noauto" to "auto"):

    /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 auto,users,exec,umask=000,uid=knoppix,gid=knoppix 0 0

    (Same for hdb1.)

    However, for the "ext2" partition on hdb2 (it's a Red Hat partition), fstab reads:

    /dev/hdb2 /mnt/hdb2 ext2 auto,user,exec 0 0

    So I thought I'd just change the lines for hda1 and hdb1 to match the line for hdb2, but when I did, the partitions were mounted, I just couldn't access them as a normal user ("permission denied"), only as root. So I changed them back to the Knoppix default, and they are now accessible.

    So why is hdb2 accessible using that line in fstab, but hda1 and hdb1 require "umask", "uid", and "gid"? What do they mean? I tried chmod on /mnt/hdxx and /dev/hdxx, but it didn't work. Is there a difference between "user" and "users"?

    Also, every time I start KDE, my desktop icons' positions haven't been saved and I have to arrange them. Again. Any help with that?

    Thank you for any assistance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Did you run (as root)

    mount -a

    after saving the new /etc/fstab?

    For a really detailed explanation of all the possible settings, take a peek at

    man mount

    &

    man fstab

    The desktop things can (probably) be retained if, when logging out, you make sure the "save settings" (or something similar) checkbox is ticked.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9

    access rights

    You have to mount the fat32 hds with the user=knoppix ... options, since fat32 does not support access rights. If you mount it this way linux assigns the values from fstab (owner, group etc. ) to each file on the partition. If you donīt provide these options linux assumes that root is the owner ... of all files.

    the redhat partition is ext2 and thus supports access rights. Thatīs why you donīt have to provide further options in the fstab.

    So everything is fine and totally normal.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Ah, OK. Curiously, Red Hat does not require the same sort of permission-setting in fstab in order for the FAT32 partitions to be accessible to the normal user; however, only root can write to the disk (and it complains about permissions even then, when moving files to it).

    (Re "mount -a" - yes, I know about that one. After editing fstab, you can issue the "mount -a" command to (re-)mount all filesystems listed in fstab, thus immediately implementing your changes.

    Re a tick box that allows you to save the positions of your desktop icons, if you know where it is, please let me know.)

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    9
    if redhat really allows access to mounted fat32 partitions to all users by default, this is not a feature, but a bug in my opinion.

    i donīt want my fat32 partitions to be readable for all users on my system.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    It's been a while so I don't remember, but I highly doubt it's the default. I think you either have to tell the Red Hat installer you want them mounted, or add them manually to fstab as root.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    Finally found the setting that makes my icons stay put. It's in the KDE Control Center's "KDE Components" --> "Session Manager" section, under "On Login". Click the "Restore manually saved session" radio button, and KDE will put a "Save Session" icon on your K menu. After rearranging your desktop to your liking, click the "Save Session" icon. Next time KDE starts up, everything should be as you left it (including running programs).

    (This assumes you've done a hard disk install, of course.)

Similar Threads

  1. Desktop icons
    By oldgeezer in forum General Support
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 06:46 AM
  2. Post-install DVD drive problems
    By stupidflanders in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-04-2003, 10:05 AM
  3. tip: how not lost desktop partition icons after hd-install
    By Carlos_E_Morimoto in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-05-2003, 08:37 AM
  4. post-HD install: apt-get dist-upgrade problems
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM
  5. Where do the desktop icons go?
    By skyconcert in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2002, 05:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99



HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD picture

HGST 0F23072 Deskstar NAS 6TB SATA III 7200RPM 128MB 3.5in HDD

$84.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$55.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99