Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Connect to a network drive w/ the Knoppix Live CD

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3

    Connect to a network drive w/ the Knoppix Live CD

    Hi, I am using Knoppix Live CD in my school and I am trying to connect to the Network drive which is in school.

    How can I mapped the network drive so I can save my work on it?

    BTW, if I create a folder or a file and save it on the Desktop, will it be there next time when I boot the Knoppix? Cuz when I right click => properties, it tells me that it is on /ramdisk , So i thought that it jsut save on the RAM.

    I know I can use the memory stick and floppy but I just wanna ask how the Live Distro save all kind of files.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    I had the same problem at our helpdesk which serves nationwide.
    All the users are linux newbies and entering commands and doing manipulations is very hard for them. They're all windoze infected.. .
    What I did :
    -create a webserver on windows machine
    you could use Jana Webserver (which is very simple to setup)
    http://www.janaserver.de/start.php?lang=en
    or create one on your knoppix (apache,or others..)
    -create shellscripts to perform stuff (mappings on various drives)
    -put the shellscripts on the site (for download)
    what I've did to make the shellscripts startable ,was to work with desktop shortcuts.
    example you created a shellscript mapdrive1.sh which does a mapping to a shared location on a server. Then created a shortcut to the program sh followed by the location of the script on the desktop.
    So all what people got to do is :
    1)start knoppix
    2)type in the ip of your website
    3)download the script of their choice to /home/knoppix/Desktop
    4)download the Desktopshortcut that goes with it to /home/knoppix/Desktop
    5)And now by a simple click on the desktop shortcut that appears on their desktop they can initiate the script (a mapping,starting an ftp
    server,etc... )

    Another solution would be that everyone has their personal home drive and settings on a usb-stick.

    Another solution would be to use terminal services to boot knoppix trough bootftp. With the use of each and everyone their own remote homedrive.

    You see there are enough options..

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 11:24 PM
  2. internet goes down on network connect
    By ichi in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-08-2005, 08:53 PM
  3. hard drive partition required to run knoppix w/o live-cd?
    By ishaim in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 10:01 AM
  4. cannot connect to network and internet
    By t h 3 dunadan in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
  5. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-31-2003, 01:38 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel  Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD picture

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD

$1299.99



Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For  RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series picture

Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series

$375.00



IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon  E5620 picture

IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620

$199.99



IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5

IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM

$179.99



Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE picture

Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE

$295.00



IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES picture

IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES

$110.30



IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS picture

IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS

$80.00



IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU picture

IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU

$999.99



IBM 01YM308 Storwize V7000 G3 for 2076-724 Internal Storage System Control Node picture

IBM 01YM308 Storwize V7000 G3 for 2076-724 Internal Storage System Control Node

$749.99



Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs picture

Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs

$49.99