-
A "standard" download directory & executable s
Hi all -
I have a couple of ideas that may well be best put to the Linux Standard Base site, but I thouight I'd post them here anyway, (as Knoppix is _the_ most user-friendly distro, and I want Knoppix to get any new ideas first ...
( I should mention that these ideas are more for others than myself - I'm not a total Linux newbie, but I believe I have a good feel for the kind of things that newbies find difficult / puzzling .... )
Idea 1 - A directory (let's call it /install or maybe dl_install , for download_install) that is *the* one *standard* place that you should download files to , and then run the install from. There seems to be no docs anywhere that specify *which directory* you should d/l to ..... you're just expected to somehow "know". ( Some _apps_ do specify the dir to d/l to, but there seems to be no general docs in this area ).
As an alternative to implementing a standard d/l directory, at least I'd suggest a brief entry in a FAQ, something like
( start of FAQ - replace "X" with an actual directory )
Q. I want to download some software. Which directory should I download it to?
A. You should always download to the "X" directory. Then, you should run the install from that directory as well. Most installs involve typing the following commands at the command prompt -
./configure
make
make install
( end of FAQ )
This may sound like a small, trivial thing, but implementing the dir (or the FAQ) would be **easy** to do, and would be a very nice little distinguishing feature to have. Ok - yes you can create the dir yourself, but it _still_ wouldn't be the "standard" place for the _distro_.
Yes, there are utils like apt-get , that do everything automatically. But - if you do need to do a manual install (for whatever reason), a standard "download_install directory could still be useful.
Idea 2 - A standard suffix for executable files ( I'd suggest "lexe", for linux exe). This would also surely be easy to implement. Yes, ok - there are the /bin and /sbin directories, but there is still no guarantee that all files there are executable. Wouldn't it be *great* (and useful) to be able to find ALL executable files on your system ( _whereever_ they are ) with a *simple* command like -
grep -l *.lexe
Again, this would be trivial to implement, and very useful to make things even more user-friendly. At the very least, you could be given the *option* (at install time) of giving all executable files the .lexe suffix.
Ah, well ... that'll do for now
. Comments welcome! ( Time to put on the ol' asbestos suit .....
)
Similar Threads
-
By kirpi in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-14-2004, 06:11 PM
-
By LinuxGeek in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-20-2003, 07:30 PM
-
By ollisoft in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-18-2003, 03:44 AM
-
By oreo in forum General Support
Replies: 11
Last Post: 07-23-2003, 06:33 PM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SFP TO RJ45 TRANSCEIVER SFP MODULE COPPER SFP OPTICAL PORT TO RJ45 ETHERNET PORT
$7.99

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*
$24.00

Intel SPTSLP2SLCDE 100G-DR1 QSFP28 500m 1311nm Transceivers - Lot of 10 - New
$200.00

Dell Intel X710-DA2 5N7Y5 Dual-Port 10GbE SFP+ PCIe 3.0 x8 Network Adapter
$27.50

Genuine Cisco SFP-10G-SR 0-2415-03 10 Gigabit Transceiver
$5.40

HP 560SFP+ 10GB 2-port PCIe NIC Ethernet ADAPTER 669279-001 w/ (2) 10GB SFP+
$16.99

New Sealed Cisco GLC-LH-SMD 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP Transceiver Module *US
$17.00

Intel X520-DA2 10Gb 10Gbe 10 Gigabit Network Adapter NIC Dual Port E10G42BTDA
$28.94

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module
$699.99

Lot of 50 HPE Mellanox 655874B21 Rev B2 40G QSFP to 10G SFP Adapter G2U
$224.95