Arrrgh ... replying to my own post. Anyway -
I've just realised (as soon as I did my previous post ) that newbies would probably not know to use the grep command to find executable files. So, I'm suggesting a FAQ entry, like the following -
(NOTE - this FAQ is specifically aimed at finding *executable* files - not just any files. The FAQ assumes that there is a standard in place (either for Knoppix, or for all distros) that all executable files have the ".lexe" suffix )

( start of FAQ )
Q - I want to find all the executable files on my system ( or in directory "X" ). How do I do this?
A - There are several ways of doing this. They are as follows
Option 1 - In the directory that you want to search for executable files , type the following command at the shell prompt -
grep -l *.lexe
Option 2 - ( another option here )
Option 3 - ( another option here)
( end of FAQ )

Apologies for replying to my own post ....