Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: crystal audio CS4236

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    crystal audio CS4236

    I have a Acer v58xa mother board from a old aptiva and I am trying to get knoppix to run on it. Everything went smooth except I cant get the audio to work. Kde boots and says one of two things cant open sound device or no such directory. I have run lspci and it does not seem to show up. I tried running sndconfig when it fails auto detection I try to select it from the list when it says segmentation fault and closes. I have tried alsa-autoconfig also and it says building carddatabase and closes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Under Knoppix Sound - no cs4236 !
    modprobe soundcore
    modprobe cs4232

    Under ALSA Sound:
    modprobe snd-cs4236-lib
    modprobe snd-cs4236
    If modprobe doesn't work, cd /lib/modules/extra/alsa and try again.

    ALSA on knoppix didn't have all the drivers I needed, so I downloaded ALSA (about 4 tar package's) and installed them in /usr/local/alsa .


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    ALSA - also modprobe snd



  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    The knoppix sound config crashes. And when I try modprobe for alsa it says cannot find module. I tried alsaconf and selecting the chip. I go through the configuration till it says no such file or directory. I tried updating the alsa packages also.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    I would strongly suggest replacing your card or onboard sound with a newer C-Media card. An OEM C-Media 8738 4 channel card costs around $12 U.S. Not only is it fully LINUX compatable - it sounds great!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by treegezer
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Good it worked out for you. Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Audio CD
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  2. Problem with audio
    By Rat attack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. Cannot Play Audio CDs
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM
  4. Audio in Knoppix
    By DeEjAyCaRrAs in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
  5. usb-audio able to be disabled?
    By RoZWeLLiTe in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor picture

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor

$39.00



Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor picture

Intel Core i7-9700 3.0 GHz Octo-Core (SRG13) Processor

$79.00



AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU 6-Core 12-Thread 3.2GHz 3.6GHz Boost AM4 19MB Cache picture

AMD Ryzen 5 1600 CPU 6-Core 12-Thread 3.2GHz 3.6GHz Boost AM4 19MB Cache

$15.95



Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6 picture

Intel Core i5-4590T 2 GHz 5 GT/s LGA 1150 Desktop CPU Processor SR1S6

$10.99



Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition picture

Intel Core Ultra 5 235T SRQES CPU Processor Excellent Used Condition

$88.00



Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13  3.0 GHz  Desktop CPU picture

Intel Core i7-9700 SRG13 3.0 GHz Desktop CPU

$80.00



Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 SR153 3.3GHz Quad Core LGA 1150 CPU Processor

$14.49



AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU picture

AMD Ryzen 5 9600X Processor (Zen 5) 6-Core 3.9GHz AM5 65W Desktop CPU

$169.99



AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1) picture

AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)

$189.00



PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU picture

PS5 Over Heating Problem Solver 1.5 Grams Liquid metal thermal paste CPU, GPU

$15.99