Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: crystal audio CS4236

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    crystal audio CS4236

    I have a Acer v58xa mother board from a old aptiva and I am trying to get knoppix to run on it. Everything went smooth except I cant get the audio to work. Kde boots and says one of two things cant open sound device or no such directory. I have run lspci and it does not seem to show up. I tried running sndconfig when it fails auto detection I try to select it from the list when it says segmentation fault and closes. I have tried alsa-autoconfig also and it says building carddatabase and closes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Under Knoppix Sound - no cs4236 !
    modprobe soundcore
    modprobe cs4232

    Under ALSA Sound:
    modprobe snd-cs4236-lib
    modprobe snd-cs4236
    If modprobe doesn't work, cd /lib/modules/extra/alsa and try again.

    ALSA on knoppix didn't have all the drivers I needed, so I downloaded ALSA (about 4 tar package's) and installed them in /usr/local/alsa .


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    ALSA - also modprobe snd



  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    The knoppix sound config crashes. And when I try modprobe for alsa it says cannot find module. I tried alsaconf and selecting the chip. I go through the configuration till it says no such file or directory. I tried updating the alsa packages also.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    I would strongly suggest replacing your card or onboard sound with a newer C-Media card. An OEM C-Media 8738 4 channel card costs around $12 U.S. Not only is it fully LINUX compatable - it sounds great!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by treegezer
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Good it worked out for you. Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Audio CD
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  2. Problem with audio
    By Rat attack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. Cannot Play Audio CDs
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM
  4. Audio in Knoppix
    By DeEjAyCaRrAs in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
  5. usb-audio able to be disabled?
    By RoZWeLLiTe in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00 picture

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00

$1619.30



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller picture

BROADCOM 05-50077-01 PCI-E 4.0 x8 PCI-Express MegaRAID 9560-8i RAID Controller

$739.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives

$149.95



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US picture

LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US

$29.88



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US picture

9300-8i LSI SAS3008 8-Port 12Gb PCIe IT mode ZFS FreeNAS unRAID 2*SFF-8643 US

$49.50



EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD picture

EMC KTN-SL3 15-Bay Disk Array Enclosure w/2x 303-108-000E Cards, Dual PSU,No HDD

$239.99