Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: crystal audio CS4236

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    crystal audio CS4236

    I have a Acer v58xa mother board from a old aptiva and I am trying to get knoppix to run on it. Everything went smooth except I cant get the audio to work. Kde boots and says one of two things cant open sound device or no such directory. I have run lspci and it does not seem to show up. I tried running sndconfig when it fails auto detection I try to select it from the list when it says segmentation fault and closes. I have tried alsa-autoconfig also and it says building carddatabase and closes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Under Knoppix Sound - no cs4236 !
    modprobe soundcore
    modprobe cs4232

    Under ALSA Sound:
    modprobe snd-cs4236-lib
    modprobe snd-cs4236
    If modprobe doesn't work, cd /lib/modules/extra/alsa and try again.

    ALSA on knoppix didn't have all the drivers I needed, so I downloaded ALSA (about 4 tar package's) and installed them in /usr/local/alsa .


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    ALSA - also modprobe snd



  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    The knoppix sound config crashes. And when I try modprobe for alsa it says cannot find module. I tried alsaconf and selecting the chip. I go through the configuration till it says no such file or directory. I tried updating the alsa packages also.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    I would strongly suggest replacing your card or onboard sound with a newer C-Media card. An OEM C-Media 8738 4 channel card costs around $12 U.S. Not only is it fully LINUX compatable - it sounds great!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by treegezer
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Good it worked out for you. Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Audio CD
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  2. Problem with audio
    By Rat attack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. Cannot Play Audio CDs
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM
  4. Audio in Knoppix
    By DeEjAyCaRrAs in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
  5. usb-audio able to be disabled?
    By RoZWeLLiTe in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25 picture

Vintage Telex 952003-112 Mechanical Terminal Keyboard IBM 3270 Mainframe DB25

$699.99



HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer picture

HP 5060-8359 8K Semiconductor Memory Module 5080-9747 Vintage HP Computer

$157.30



Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation picture

Vintage Intel Mainframe Server MCM CPU Substrate Lot Prototyping PGA Validation

$500.00



IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D picture

IBM Aptiva E5D Intel Pentium II 400MHz 64MB RAM No HDD Vintage Computer 2139E5D

$219.99



One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends picture

One Of A Kind Homemade Vintage Mainframe Computer, Logic Module Wood Bookends

$149.00



Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981 picture

Vintage Japanese Katakana Double Shot Sperry Univac UTS 4000 Keyboard 1981

$199.99



Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit picture

Vintage IBM Mainframe System Board IBM 14 Transistor Chip Circuit

$44.99



LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold picture

LOT of 14 DATA 100 Corporation Mainframe Terminal Boards Memory Backplane Gold

$749.99



VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE picture

VINTAGE Artecon LX-1558FN HDD EOD SubSystem Mainframe POWERS ON RARE

$299.99



IBM 7070 Reference Manual A22-7003-2 Aug 1960 Mainframe Computer Annotated picture

IBM 7070 Reference Manual A22-7003-2 Aug 1960 Mainframe Computer Annotated

$84.99