-
Senior Member
registered user
Help with multiple install
Hello ....here is the scenario: I have a desktop computer with 2 hard drives. One running WINXP and the other running KNOPPIX ver. 3.4.
Everything works great, no problems. BUT I am getting restless and want to TINKER. I have a small 4gig HDD sitting in a file cabinet in office.
I want to TEMPORARILY remove my KNOPPIX HDD from computer, and put in that small 4gig drive. I want to divide the drive into TWO [2] partitions of approx 2 gig apiece.
I then want to put the NEW KNOPPIX version on one of the partitions and I want to put a different LINUX type [BLAG] on the other partition. I just want to divide those 2 partitions further by making 2 more partitions in each one. That way each OS will have a ROOT and SWAP partition. Since the HDD is small, thats all I want to do as far as partitioning. My questions are:
1.) Does it matter which OS to install first?
2.) I dont want to mess up my MBR on my WINXP drive so can I IGNORE the LILO boot loader, and once these 2 OS's are install, just set BIOS to boot JUST FROM THE 4gig drive?
This is just an experiment cause I want to learn how to do different types of installations and I like to tinker. Plus since the 4gig drive is a spare it dosnt matter if anything fouls up.
So my main concern is how to deal with LILO cause I dont want to touch my WINXP HDD MBR cause my original KNOPPIX 3.4 boot record is on there. So when I replace the KNOPPIX HDD, everything is back to normal.
If someone could walk me thru this It would be great!
Thanks....bob58
Similar Threads
-
By watar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 12:09 PM
-
By medicinecrow in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 10
Last Post: 11-14-2004, 01:30 AM
-
By d3viant in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 09:15 PM
-
By wfharvey in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 05:58 AM
-
By godsdog in forum Ideas
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-27-2003, 11:10 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray
$39.99

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested
$149.99

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A
$64.00

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE
$199.99

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive
$14.99

HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 3TB 7200RPM SATA III 3.5" Hard Drive HDD HUS724030ALA640
$39.99

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE
$68.99

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)
$45.00

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600
$49.95

Western Digital Red WD60EFRX-68MYMN1 6 TB,Internal,5400 RPM,3.5 inch Hard Drive
$179.99