-
Junior Member
registered user
Where can I get the source RPMs
for different applications?
I want to make a remaster and flag the Debian rpms as i686.
Can someone give me few pointers on where to start with this?
Thank you
-
no rpms..
I think... you are a bit confused
in debian world things aren't done through rpms
(rpm is a redhatism and friends)
the most general way to install programs is by compiling (although that's some work, that's why package systems are born).
On debian we install with apt/dpkg programs and the files are debian packages (wiith extension .deb)
you can get them at packages.debian.org
or make the system automatically upgrade editing the proper config files
-
Junior Member
registered user
ops.
I thought that debian packages were another rpm format
.
Is there any way to flag i386 debian packages as i686?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Where can I get the source RPMs
--I did:
cat /etc/apt/sources.list|grep src
...which went nowhere. Then I went to http://www.debian.org/mirror/list and poked around on the FTP servers a bit, which got me this:
http://ftp.oleane.net/pub/debian/dis...o/main/source/
--That's for the old version (potato) tho, which prolly doesn't help you. Anyway to make a long story short, I googled on "apt-get source --compile" and got this:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-lapto.../msg00290.html
And:
http://lrlug.org/archives/lrlug-disc...ne/008176.html
--After that, you're on your own. 
(It sounds like a very complex process, for AFAICTell, very little gain. But if you do it, post some before/after benchmarks so we can see if optimizing for architecture is as beneficial as Gentoo supposedly says.)

Originally Posted by
estranged
for different applications?
I want to make a remaster and flag the Debian rpms as i686.
Can someone give me few pointers on where to start with this?
Thank you

-
Junior Member
registered user
thanks man
-
Senior Member
registered user
--Note - the forum database went crezzy on me so my edit had to be deferred until now. See above post again for changes.

Originally Posted by
estranged
thanks man

Similar Threads
-
By ShadowAce in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-04-2005, 07:35 PM
-
By pepe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 11-06-2004, 12:28 PM
-
By Bucky Ball in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-29-2003, 02:14 PM
-
By Waylander in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-20-2003, 02:58 PM
-
By garyng in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-13-2003, 09:37 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kit NEW
$13.89

LEVOIT Cordless Vacuum Cleaner, Stick Vac with Tangle-Resistant Design, Up to...
$162.04

Cordless Air Duster & Vacuum Cleaner for Keyboard & PC Cleaning - 110000RPM Powe
$53.99

V3 Robot Vacuum and Mop Combo,Self-Charging,5000pa Strong Suction,WiFi/Alexa NIB
$82.00

US Mini Computer Vacuum USB Keyboard Cleaner PC Laptop Brush Dust Cleaning Kits
$13.89

2-in-1 Compressed Air Duster & Vacuum, Brushless Motor, 320000RPM
$37.99

Compressed Air Duster Rechargeable Computer Vacuum Cleaner for PC Keyboard Toys
$16.99

Mini Cordless Electric Keyboard Car Vacuum Cleaner Cleaning Duster Rechargeable
$9.97

Mini Computer Vacuum Cleaner & Compressed Air Duster 14500Pa, 110000RPM, Cordles
$53.99

WeePro Compressed Air Duster 180000RPM Cordless Mini Turbo Fan, 3-Speed Vacuum
$149.99