thanks for the link to the interesting interview!
well, if Knopper never had a window$ PC I suppose he cannot appreciate the absolute beauty of his own product
cheers!
There is a Klaus Knopper interview regarding Knoppix at PCTechtalk. I like this statement:
I cannot compare [Linux and Windows], because I never had a Windows PC. So far, I can't get around with Windows, it's too complicated for me and I cannot change anything there to fit my needs.
thanks for the link to the interesting interview!
well, if Knopper never had a window$ PC I suppose he cannot appreciate the absolute beauty of his own product
cheers!
Klaus is an excellent advocate for the Free Software world. He holds a balanced viewpoint with regard to horses for courses while clearly outlining the benefits/drawbacks of various options. I also love how he sticks to the RMS line of GNU/Linux and makes sure that he refers to it as a kernel and applications, which reinforces his statements as to the freedom to use the same applications on another kernel (BSD). Someone out there (like the OSDL or Linux International) should put this guy on the pay-roll to do what he's doing and to send him around the world to promote Free Software.
I have loved Knoppix since I discovered it, now I love the man behind it aswell. Keep up the good work Klaus!
bfree - I was writing this tongue-in-cheek, really only jocking! Of course, Knopper is the ultimate Linux promoter and I am also confident that he was also jocking in the quote which heads this thread.
on anothe topic - does Knopper have a group of people helping him or does it *really* do it all on himself?
Cheers!
While I realise that it was a touch amusing to read (especially the I've never used Windows bits) overall it really does provide a very nice overview of the different worlds. It's not a "Linux is better" or "Free software is better" or "Windows is evil" type piece which you often read but instead it is a "I like GNU/Linux and Unix" piece which points out that anyone might and it's easy to try. The only piece of the article which seems bizarre is "Most people and companies that I know are already using GNU/Linux on the personal PCs" which in my experience couldn't be further from the truth (unfortunately).
I just discovered knoppix the other day. I really like it... Iam mostly a windows tech, (the store where I work, sells 99% windows computers, therefore I get very framilar with windows) but would like to get to know linux beter, I liked knoppix because it worked perfectly on my machine in just a few minutes. (although it didnt like running in VMware for some reason)...Originally Posted by andrei
The reason I posted here, was, can I use your "boycott SCO" pic? I like the sentiment.
You can have your pick of 4 different ones here they are released under the terms of the GPL.Originally Posted by Occupant
oops. sorry I missed your post. I did not mean to be rude my not answering it. but yes, of course you can use it since its not mineOriginally Posted by Occupant
and look a the one Stephen suggests - pick the best one!
Cool. I didnt want to just Hijack your pic, its a small virtuall world and I can see how some would be easily offended by doing that without asking...
to get back on topic, I read the interview, and unlike steve jobs or scott mcneally, who at times come of as zelot fan-boy idiots, Klaus Knopper comes accross as a rational thinking person.
he sure is one smart guy. but I wonder if there are other helping him. surely such a complete and 'polisshed' product like Knoppix is not the work of one single guy?!

MegaRAID 9580-8i8e 16-port 12G SAS/SATA/NVMe 8GB PCIe RAID - 05-50076-00
$1619.30
Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003
$639.69
KTN-STL3 EMC VNX 15-slot Disk Array Expansion, full 15 x 2tb drives 100% health
$360.00
G-Technology G-SPEED Studio XL 48TB Thunderbolt 2 Storage - Housing Only
$200.00
Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller
$64.99
OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad 4 Bay RAID Storage Enclosure USB 3.1 Gen 2 No Drives
$149.95
Dell PERC H740p Mini Mono RAID Controller 8GB 0878M 5FMY4 GP6RN
$55.00
LSI 9260-8i 512MB SAS SATA 8-port PCI-E 6Gb RAID Controller Card US
$29.88
Dell PowerVault MD3000i AMP01 Storage Array 4x Cad 2x PSUs No HDDs/Controllers
$164.95
Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board
$202.46