-
-
Junior Member
registered user
Eh, I'm also a total newb at linux (I come here like 10 times a day to find out how to do the most simplistic shit), but did you try pushing an arrow key while it was installing? It has some sort of power-saving feature or something that makes the screen go black after a while (usually after about 30-50% worth of time, on my machine at least).
If you shut it off before finishing your installation, you probably killed your mbr.. I did that once or twice, heh.
Also, I think you need to make sure that whatever partition you're installing linux to is set to Primary.
If it is the powersaving thing, just pushing an arrow every now and then is all you need to do, and I'd suggest installing LILO to your mbr now that you've killed it.
If it's not, then I have no idea. Like I said, I'm just as new as you are.
-
Senior Member
registered user
After copying files my screen went black ...
I've had this problem before, you have to hit Enter <KEY> or ESC <KEY> or some other key - I forgot.
Knoppix will not start - because there is info at end of install, you must enter!
To start Windows, boot up with your floppy Windows Start-Up disk - and
fdisk /mbr , this will rewrite the Master Boot Record.
Your Computer will boot up Windows !
-
Senior Member
registered user
This has been addressed here several times before...
I have run into this at school, Dell P-4 machines get hung up when rebooting from linux, so what you need to do it completely power down your machine, i.e. unplug the power supply or shut off your power strip and the machine will restart, as normal.
BTW, this is not a knoppix or a linux problem, it's a Dell problem (a hardware problem).
~rock
-
thank for replying,
there is 1 prob. Idon't have a floppy drive...
but what does lilo do and how do i get instal and use iT
/\
||
||
||
total newbie
please heeelp and make my computer live again...
-
and I tried to push every key when screen was black....
-
Similar Threads
-
By Caboose in forum Laptops
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-08-2005, 07:44 PM
-
By justinscouting in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 6
Last Post: 03-30-2005, 09:45 AM
-
By Kumagoro in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-18-2005, 08:23 PM
-
By akvasu in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
Replies: 4
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 04:15 PM
-
By evirus in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 05-18-2004, 05:35 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

24x Micron MT40A512M16LY-062E IT:E 8Gb DDR4-3200 96-FBGA Memory IC
$349.99

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

Samsung 32GB 4DRx4 PC4 2133P LD0 10 MB1 Memory RAM- Lot of 2 - UNTESTED
$149.99

Transcend 96GB (6x16GB) 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC UDIMM Server RAM TS2GLH72V6B
$299.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

M321R4GA0BB0-CQK Samsung 32GB PC5-38400 DDR5-4800MHz Registered ECC CL40 RDIMM
$550.00

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot
$573.98