Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Post hd install cleanup

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55

    Post hd install cleanup

    I know some of you have posted on this before, but I didn't find anything searching the archives...

    I have 7-24-2003 Knoppix install to HD. I've installed and run localepurge to get rid of locales that I don't use. What other stuff can I get rid of? In doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -u upgrade' I notice lots of kde-i18n-?? packages that appear to be locale specific packages. Can I safely get rid of these packages if I'm going to be operating 100% US-EN? What other packages do you typically remove after doing a HD install?

    I trying to make it as lean as possible. I'm currently on a 56K dial-up (where I typically connect at 37,333 ). Running 'apt-get -u upgrade' needs about 7 hours with the packages that are currently installed. I usually lose my connection before it finishes. If I can get it down to 4-5 hours, I might be able to successfully upgrade without losing my connection.

    Also, I'm using the stock 'sources.list' file from Knoppix. Everytime I try to change this file to use US-centric sites, I end up messing something up. What entries can I change in this file to get it to use servers closer to my (US) location?

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I notice lots of kde-i18n-?? packages that appear to be locale specific packages. Can I safely get rid of these packages
    Yes
    I have removed some unnecessary fonts, and packages I never use, note, many packages are very small themselves, and won't make a whole lot of difference, I removed all palm-pilot packages such as pilot-link etc.

    I'm currently on a 56K dial-up (where I typically connect at 37,333 ). Running 'apt-get -u upgrade' needs about 7 hours
    Only 7 hours? Mine takes 12 or more, one nice feature of dpkg / apt-get is that it can be stopped and then when restarted it will resume where it was, with knoppix this is a bit more of a problem than stable because of the constant changing repositories.

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I remove alot of things after an install. Perhaps the easiest way is to fire up kpackage. Under the package description it will tell you if the package is 'required' or 'optional', what its dependencies are and a few other bits of info that will help in deciding what can safely be removed. You can remove the xservers you don't need, if you don't really need open office that will free up quite a bit of room, all the ISDN related things and even other things.

    Note that is isn't at all necessary to do apt-get upgrade every few days. In fact I would be very hesitant to do it too often. That's one of the easier ways to break your system.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    Thanks for the replies.

    Note that is isn't at all necessary to do apt-get upgrade every few days. In fact I would be very hesitant to do it too often. That's one of the easier ways to break your system.
    So, what would be a "reasonable" update cycle? Once a month? Quarterly?

    I need to brush up on my bash and write a script that will connect to the internet via ppp, run 'apt-get update', and run 'apt-get upgrade' automatically. I could then set it to start at midnight each Tuesday night, or once a month, or quarterly...

    Thanks,

    BR

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    somewhere in england
    Posts
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by bamarob
    Thanks for the replies.


    I need to brush up on my bash and write a script that will connect to the internet via ppp, run 'apt-get update', and run 'apt-get upgrade' automatically. I could then set it to start at midnight each Tuesday night, or once a month, or quarterly...

    Thanks,

    BR
    when running a system like knoppix that is based on testing and unstable this isn't a good idea you need to make sure nothing goes wrong and do it when you have time availible to fix stuff

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    55
    10-4. Once I clean up all of the stuff I don't need, maybe it'll run quick enough to have the time required to periodically upgrade and fix problems.

    BR

    Quote Originally Posted by plugwash
    Quote Originally Posted by bamarob
    Thanks for the replies.


    I need to brush up on my bash and write a script that will connect to the internet via ppp, run 'apt-get update', and run 'apt-get upgrade' automatically. I could then set it to start at midnight each Tuesday night, or once a month, or quarterly...

    Thanks,

    BR
    when running a system like knoppix that is based on testing and unstable this isn't a good idea you need to make sure nothing goes wrong and do it when you have time availible to fix stuff

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Post hd install cleanup

    --See this thread:
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...t=deldeb#21452

    Quote Originally Posted by bamarob
    I know some of you have posted on this before, but I didn't find anything searching the archives...

    I have 7-24-2003 Knoppix install to HD. I've installed and run localepurge to get rid of locales that I don't use. What other stuff can I get rid of? In doing 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -u upgrade' I notice lots of kde-i18n-?? packages that appear to be locale specific packages. Can I safely get rid of these packages if I'm going to be operating 100% US-EN? What other packages do you typically remove after doing a HD install?

    I trying to make it as lean as possible. I'm currently on a 56K dial-up (where I typically connect at 37,333 ). Running 'apt-get -u upgrade' needs about 7 hours with the packages that are currently installed. I usually lose my connection before it finishes. If I can get it down to 4-5 hours, I might be able to successfully upgrade without losing my connection.

    Also, I'm using the stock 'sources.list' file from Knoppix. Everytime I try to change this file to use US-centric sites, I end up messing something up. What entries can I change in this file to get it to use servers closer to my (US) location?

    Thanks,

    BamaRob

Similar Threads

  1. Post install questions (firewire hdd install)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
  2. Cleanup startup
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-12-2004, 08:22 PM
  3. How to? Final remastering cleanup
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-12-2003, 05:04 AM
  4. emu10k1 post install
    By Lilmuckers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2003, 11:20 AM
  5. Post hd install
    By andecla in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 07:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



Micron 2RX8 PC4-2666V 32GB MTA16ATF4G64AZ-2G6B1 DDR4 Desktop Memory RAM Lot of 2 picture

Micron 2RX8 PC4-2666V 32GB MTA16ATF4G64AZ-2G6B1 DDR4 Desktop Memory RAM Lot of 2

$300.00



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc. picture

[ BULK LOT OF 10 ] 8GB DDR3 LAPTOP RAM SAMSUNG, HYNIX, etc.

$89.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4 picture

Samsung (21x16GB) 336GB 1Rx8 PC4-3200AA, PC4-2666V Laptop Memory DDR4

$1299.00



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



Kingston KVR32S22S8/16 16GB 3200MHz PC4-25600 DDR4 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory picture

Kingston KVR32S22S8/16 16GB 3200MHz PC4-25600 DDR4 260-Pin SODIMM Laptop Memory

$109.49