Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Use powerbutton to poweroff completely your pc.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252

    Use powerbutton to poweroff completely your pc.

    For now I think acpi is configured in this way that when pushing the powerbutton the system goes to standby.
    Has anyone a clue on what to do for that the powerbutton directly shuts down the pc completely without keyboard intervention ?
    Muchos,muchos gracias in advance....

    greetzzzzz from Brussels..

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I may be mistaken here but I don't believe that the standard Knoppix is patched for ACPI. Of course I haven't tried out the latest yet. You would have to patch the kernel or install a prepatched version. Some machines work fine w/ APM as opposed to ACPI however. My Toshiba laptop for example does quite well w/ ACPI patched kernel and running the acpid I can simply power down by hitting the power button. My desktops however use APM very nicely and the 'halt' command does just that. I never could get ACPI to work on the desktops. If your machine is capable of powering off correctly under Linux then it may be a configuration error. Perhaps adding 'apm=power-off' to your append line in lilo.conf would help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479

    Re: Use powerbutton to poweroff completely your pc.

    Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    For now I think acpi is configured in this way that when pushing the powerbutton the system goes to standby.
    Has anyone a clue on what to do for that the powerbutton directly shuts down the pc completely without keyboard intervention ?
    Muchos,muchos gracias in advance....

    greetzzzzz from Brussels..
    There is an option in my BIOS that changes the behavior from standby to actually shutdown when the button is pressed you may have similar. If you are running installed on the HD I had to recompile the kernel and disable acpi and use apm to have the machine shutdown instead of going into standby.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Thanks anyway guys...
    Tried bios stuff before launching this question too.
    I'm even working on a fully equipped bios ,the one from the via epia motherboard. Tried every forsaken option in here. Invain...
    But I've got an alternative. Not a clean nice one,but it'll do.

    Since the config it will be used for is a headless webcam(4 of them)server based on a HDbased knoppix install.
    (now you ask : Why use knoppix ? => it is supposed to be a config which can go in any hardware config with any usb webcam attached to it. In this case the hardware detection script from Klaus-read knoppix- does miracles).
    I've configured a shortcut inside KDE to close down linux. What I obtain is that linux shuts down,but just until the line 'please remove your cd...' .
    Even when there's no cd at all,since it's fully HDbased.
    What I've made is : from an old keyboard,removed the controller chip from ,attached wires to and added a 8-pole pusch button to it. So now when you push the button it enters a keysequence ,and orders the pc to shutdown.(it will be faster for me this way ,then to learn who to recompile knoppix cd ).
    Once upon a time I will get lucky to have loads of time and learn to recompile linux. But for now I'm more of a practical guy... .

    We shall provail ....

    Oh yeah.. I an idea just popped to my mind : why not replace the emotions from this website with linux pengiun emotions ... just for the fun of it ???

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by ktheking
    I've configured a shortcut inside KDE to close down linux. What I obtain is that linux shuts down,but just until the line 'please remove your cd...' .
    Even when there's no cd at all,since it's fully HDbased.
    Check out the cheatcodes for 3.3 :
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoppix 3.3 cheatcodes
    - New cheatcode: "noprompt":
    Its especially useful in combination with noeject. With noprompt, Knopix won't eject the CD and ask for a keypress. It was a much asked feature some time ago.
    Hope that helps..

    Oh yeah.. I an idea just popped to my mind : why not replace the emotions from this website with linux pengiun emotions ... just for the fun of it ???
    Nice idea, if you can find them I'll do it

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Thanks for the precious info eadz ...

    The 'noprompt' cheatcode has this to be entered like this :

    noprompt

    or

    knoppix noprompt

    ?

    For the smileys => damn they'er hard to find.. ,once i'll get them I'll send ya the link.

    greetzz,

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    252
    Tested both combinations ,both don't work with iso of 24/09/2003 .
    Have tried it out with noeject combination ,and on different computers.

    Seems noprompt option needs a little more explanation ?

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by eadz
    Oh yeah.. I an idea just popped to my mind : why not replace the emotions from this website with linux pengiun emotions ... just for the fun of it ???
    Nice idea, if you can find them I'll do it
    Man, two years have passed and none has found/created them?

    Where are the GIMP lovers are?!

Similar Threads

  1. removing X completely
    By florin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 02:11 AM
  2. Completely Remove KDE
    By eddieroger in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-24-2005, 08:23 PM
  3. Computer does not completely shut down
    By bob58 in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 08:34 PM
  4. terminal completely scrambled
    By thomasberi in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-25-2004, 03:08 PM
  5. custom knoppix eject on poweroff/reboot problem
    By bartavelle in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2003, 05:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$482.02



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 2 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 2 15.6" Touchscreen i7-1165G7 16GB 1TB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$372.48



WAVLINK Thunderbolt 5 Dock, 13-in-1 TB5 Docking Station with NVMe M.2  picture

WAVLINK Thunderbolt 5 Dock, 13-in-1 TB5 Docking Station with NVMe M.2

$162.98



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$24.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Dell Latitude 5591 Hex Core i7-8850h@ 2.6 GHz  15.6

Dell Latitude 5591 Hex Core i7-8850h@ 2.6 GHz 15.6" 16gb NEW 1TB SSD "GRADE A+"

$499.00



SGIN 15.6

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD

$335.99