-
Knoppix with D-Link wireless card
I'm another Knoppix newbie. I'm running XP and absolutely hate it, but i can't use Knoppix exclusively until i get my internet to work.
I have a D-Link DWL-650+ card, which Knoppix can detect (recognizes TI chip and all), but i can't use it for the internet. I don't even know how to set up an internet connection in *nix.
I'm using the CD bootable version of Knoppix, and i can't save settings because XP is using NTFS.
I'd like to install Knoppix on a partition, but i don't know if you can do that with this cd.
Any help would be appreciated.
-Noli
-
Junior Member
registered user
knoppix with Dlink wireless card
Hi,
First things first, for starters info look on the wiki (faqs and documentation)
Probably you need to look at hdinstall and similars.
KnoppixForNewBees is also interesting I guess.
Second, installing on ntfs is not easy at this point.
The free tools for resizing ntfs don't work with XP home(tm).
Look at commercial resizers, there is a link on the wiki as well for them.
I used BootitNG recently and it works flawlessly. Do a google search and read about it before you start using the free trial download. If you can spare the money, buy a license (+/- 35 EUR). The tool is great and does lots of other stuff as well such as doing back up copies of partitions on cd. You don't want to reinstall a full XP that takes all the harddisk after you finally manange to get knoppix working flawlessly do you?
Under the knoppix entry of the start menu there is in the network section a link for configuring wlan cards. The D-link should work as it is. In my opinion you'd better switch of WEP encription first and add it back later if the connection proves to be working.
I have a sitecom and linksys card and both needed changes in the configuration files before I could use them.
In a terminal do "sudo iwconfig" there should be a lot of info about your card printed like model, make, mac address, signal strength and so on. If the only thing you see is a kind of an error message, your card has not been properly identified by the pcmcia package.
Saving configuration can be done on a floppy or on a memory card or the like, no need to do that on the ntfs partition. NTFS can only dependably be accessed as read only at this point.
For a starters it's much easier to use a standard 100MB ethernet network to get things running and afterwards add the wireless.
I have been doing harddisk installs since version 3.1 came out and 3.3 reportedly still does that and the procedure is gradually perfected. Read more in the FAQS and Documentation section.
happy nixing
Similar Threads
-
By Mark Walter in forum Networking
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-31-2004, 01:15 PM
-
By Camon_Draconis in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-15-2004, 06:26 AM
-
By tankd0g in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 02-28-2004, 04:12 PM
-
By g3guy in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-24-2004, 03:46 PM
-
By Tad in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 7
Last Post: 05-29-2003, 02:48 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Lot of 5 Samsung PM9B1 256GB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 x4 NVMe SSD MZVL4256HBJD SSD
$200.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Samsung One Connect Docking Station SOC8002B Black w/ Cable & Power Cord
$400.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung
$119.99

RAM-GDS-DOCK-SAM88CPU RAM GDS® Tough-Dock™ for Samsung Tab A9+
$174.99

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue
$225.77

Samsung 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 RDIMM 288-Pin PC4-2666V ECC Registered RAM
$30.00