Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Knoppix 3.3 Apt-Get - Problems & Solutions

  1. #1
    Junior Member Eavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix 3.3 Apt-Get - Problems & Solutions

    Hello World!

    I encountered a bunch of problems with apt-get after installation. Apt-get update ignored the Release files and no matter what I tried to install, it claimed the packages didn't exist. I modified the /etc/apt/sources.list file, replacing all occurences of "ftp2" with "ftp", then it successfully got the Package files again.

    Installation of Synaptic only works for "unstable" right now. Synaptic-debtags works without problems, though. I'm reporting my experiences in case anybody else has to deal with the same problem. Comments are welcome!

    BTW, the current version of "knoppix-installer" really rocks, very well done - keep up the good work, Knoppix is the very best way to install a working version of Debian (IMHO the best Linux distro ever)...

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    9
    Right on brother. I installed the 3.3 today after wiping 3.2 and what do you know, I go to install synaptic and it goes mental. Something about dependencies. Man, was I bummed.

    Found your post here about synaptic-debtags working so I tried to install it and what do you know, it works like magic.

    Thanks for posting the info. I owe you one. Have a couple of beers and I'll pay for maybe one of them. Hey, what can I say, I'm going to be out of work soon so I have to start saving money now.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Eavy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4
    Hello again!

    Weird, with KNOPPIX V3.3 (2003-09-24) the ftp2 URL's actually work, whereas the ftp replacement fails. I don't know if there were some changes between 09-22 and 09-24, or the Debian mirrors changed, but DON'T change the sources.list with this version.

    Using synaptic-debtags instead of plain old synaptic is a good idea in any case, as it supports sorting packages according to a tag tree list, which might be more useful with Debian's huge archive. (Make sure to run "debtags update" before starting the new Synaptic for the first time!)

Similar Threads

  1. Several issues -- and some solutions :-)
    By enemorales in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 10:39 AM
  2. Problems w/Radeon 7000VE (& possible solutions)
    By bspachman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 09:40 PM
  3. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  4. Knoppix v3.3 problems
    By nappy501 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2004, 04:30 PM
  5. Solutions for a change
    By newman in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 11:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP,  (6 CDS) picture

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)

$10.00



KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit picture

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit

$19.99



Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive picture

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive

$5.99



KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED picture

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED

$11.99



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick

$20.85



VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION) picture

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)

$7.57



Knoppix NSM 1.2 picture

Knoppix NSM 1.2

$8.00



Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick

$21.42



Hamshack Live DVD-ROM picture

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM

$7.00



Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006 picture

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006

$33.72