Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Boot disk problem

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38

    Boot disk problem

    Hi, I have done the hd install. I installed to a second drive, hdb
    The install went O.K. untill the making of the boot floppy, which
    failed.
    So I now do not have a way of booting to linux.
    I tried to make a bootdisk using mkboot /boot/vmlimuz but this
    failed with a message about lack of space.

    Does anyone have any ideas please?

    I still have the image on the first drive and can do a "poor mans
    boot"

    Thanks in advance, Jimmy.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Boot disk problem

    --Warning: Untested

    0. Boot Knoppix CD
    0a. Mount your root partition (assuming /dev/hdb1) ' mount /mnt/hdb1 '

    1. Place blank floppy in drive
    2. ' mkdosfs -c -v /dev/fd0 ' == Format floppy
    3. ' syslinux /dev/fd0 ' == You may want to use the -s option, see ' man syslinux '

    4. ' mkdir /mnt/floppy; mount /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy '
    5. ' cp /mnt/hdb1/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs /mnt/floppy/vmlinuz ' == Copy kernel and rename to vmlinuz
    6. ' cp /mnt/hdb1/boot/initrd.gz /mnt/floppy ' == Copy initrd

    7. Copy the following to /mnt/floppy/syslinux.cfg:
    Code:
    default knoppix
    prompt 1
    timeout 50
    label knoppix
      kernel vmlinuz
      append root=/dev/hdb1 ro vga=791 apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce initrd=initrd.gz
    --Edit the "append" line to whatever cheatcodes you need to boot; it should be all one long line. You can also use vga=ext or vga=normal if you don't want framebuffer.

    --When done, ' cd; umount /dev/fd0 ' and ' reboot '.

    Quote Originally Posted by iconfly
    Hi, I have done the hd install. I installed to a second drive, hdb
    The install went O.K. untill the making of the boot floppy, which
    failed.
    So I now do not have a way of booting to linux.
    I tried to make a bootdisk using mkboot /boot/vmlimuz but this
    failed with a message about lack of space.

    Does anyone have any ideas please?

    I still have the image on the first drive and can do a "poor mans
    boot"

    Thanks in advance, Jimmy.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NORTH EAST ENGLAND
    Posts
    38
    Thank you very much for the detailed insructions.
    I will try this. In the meantime I have partitioned the first drive and done
    an install to that. However I still have the installation on the second drive, and I want to use that one.
    I have always made a floppy boot disk everytime I have done a linux install.
    I do not know why it failed with the knoppix install but when it did I did not have the option to retry.

    I also intend to get 3.3 and try the new install when I find out ore about it.
    Thanks again, I have read the instructions and I think I can see
    how it works. Jimmy.

Similar Threads

  1. Another boot disk problem...
    By Rad in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 07:56 PM
  2. saving config to hard drive and boot disk problem
    By Eradicator in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-21-2004, 05:29 PM
  3. HDD install problem - Error 0x07 using LILO from boot disk
    By bbouton in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 03:04 AM
  4. Boot cd with lilo or grub boot disk
    By keava in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 05:24 PM
  5. Boot Disk Problem
    By qa1433 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-20-2003, 03:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple Keyboard (MO110) picture

Vintage Apple Keyboard (MO110)

$61.30



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple picture

Kineses PS/2 Keyboard to Macintosh Adapter Converter Vintage Interface Apple

$60.00



Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



Apple IIc Vintage Computer System w/ Monitor, Printer, Disk Drive, Joystick picture

Apple IIc Vintage Computer System w/ Monitor, Printer, Disk Drive, Joystick

$350.00



Apple Vintage External CD-ROM Drive Unit picture

Apple Vintage External CD-ROM Drive Unit

$52.78



Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse

$245.00



VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor picture

VINTAGE Apple Mac OS X Computer Monitor

$250.00