Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: v3.3 sharing ntfs drive using samba

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85

    v3.3 sharing ntfs drive using samba

    I just noticed that in the new Knoppix 3.3 you can start the samba server quite easily through the new knoppix menu.
    I noticed that it gives you the option: "export all harddrives so that they can be mounted, read, and written from the remote machine?"

    Does this mean that I can share a local NTFS drive and read and write to it from another windows machine on the network as a windows share, or does the "no writing to NTFS" still apply in this situation? I wanted to ask before I tried it to make sure I wouldn't mess up my partition.

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    15
    Don't write to ntfs is still valid for normal users.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    85
    I'm not sure what you mean. I'm just curious if I can I pop knoppix into a cdrom on an XP computer with NTFS partitions and share the drive read/write using samba. Then go to another windows XP computer across the network and read and write to that shared NTFS drive.

    I know you can write to an NTFS drive from knoppix if the NTFS drive is on a windows computer on the network being shared using netbios. This is possible since Netbios is handling all of the data.

Similar Threads

  1. Captive NTFS on Knoppix 3.6 and WInXP / NTFS hard drive
    By itaydagani in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2005, 12:53 AM
  2. Writing to a NTFS Drive
    By JamesNU in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 02:27 AM
  3. How to copy an NTFS drive to another NTFS drive
    By Bothersome in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-07-2004, 10:53 PM
  4. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  5. Stop Samba from sharing printers
    By dave52355 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-18-2003, 08:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$488.00



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99