Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: hdinstalled booting off floppy

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3

    hdinstalled booting off floppy

    I installed knoppix on a hd partition, keeping winme on another partition.
    I use a boot floppy to load knoppix. When booting I get "boot" then
    I have to hit the enter key or wait several seconds. Then it loads
    vmlinuz. Then it says I have passed an undefined node number and
    to press return to see video nodes available. I do that, choose "0"
    and it continues to load. How can I define a node so I won't keep
    getting this error? My version is 01-01-03 disk, I am using it on one
    stand alone desktop computer, not a system. I have read so much
    that I've gotten myself confused. thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: hdinstalled booting off floppy

    --The kernel is having trouble with the video MODE.

    A couple of things to try:
    ' knoppix vga=normal '
    ' knoppix vga=ext '

    ' fb1024x768 '

    (Hit F2 at the boot prompt for more codes.)

    Quote Originally Posted by hickorynut
    I installed knoppix on a hd partition, keeping winme on another partition.
    I use a boot floppy to load knoppix. When booting I get "boot" then
    I have to hit the enter key or wait several seconds. Then it loads
    vmlinuz. Then it says I have passed an undefined node number and
    to press return to see video nodes available. I do that, choose "0"
    and it continues to load. How can I define a node so I won't keep
    getting this error? My version is 01-01-03 disk, I am using it on one
    stand alone desktop computer, not a system. I have read so much
    that I've gotten myself confused. thanks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    Your video card won't support the knoppix default video mode, so starting with knoppix vga=normal should work OK.

    (WARNING: I don't know exactly how knoppix boots from floppy, if it's a lilo floppy or ???)
    If it uses lilo and you want a permanent fix so you will boot automatically in the correct video mode you will have to edit your lilo.conf file (as root) and change the video mode in there. FIRST make a backup of your existing lilo.conf file just in case!
    ( cp /etc/lilo.conf /etc/lilo.conf.bak )

    Your /etc/lilo.conf file should have a section near the top like this:
    <snip>
    #
    lba32
    #
    vga=791
    #
    </snip>

    put a hash ( # ) in front of the vga=791 so it looks like this:

    #
    #vga=791
    #

    save the file, and then make sure to rerun lilo, with the command:

    /sbin/lilo -v

    (if you don't rerun lilo the changes won't take)

    I can't guarantee this will work with a boot floppy.

    HTH

    rock

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Posts
    35
    When booting from floppy, you can modify the syslinux.cfg file to reflect the boot options that are required. First, figure out what boot args need to be done, then add them to the append statement after the default setting in the file. This works for me just fine. You can even add floppyconfig to have the system look back to the floppy for the configs.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3

    hdinstalled booting off floppy

    The vga=normal did the trick. Many thanks to the responders.

Similar Threads

  1. hdinstalled: boot problem: yenta_socket (PCI)
    By fabfab in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2004, 08:19 PM
  2. Booting Knoppix HD install on USB hd with no floppy?
    By visage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2004, 01:58 PM
  3. Booting from floppy after Hdd install
    By Loque in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 06:45 PM
  4. booting from a laptop with NO cd but it does have a floppy
    By MikeyMustang in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-03-2003, 03:47 PM
  5. Trouble booting from floppy. Does not find cd-rom?
    By jhtvdv in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-30-2003, 09:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99