Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: worked before, now hangs at INIT!

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    worked before, now hangs at INIT!

    I'm using the 6 /6 /03 version, and when I boot now I get this message:

    INIT booting knoppix version 2.78 [or something similar]

    ...a huge pause (the CD drive does nothing) then an error message saying INIT failed or something.

    I've booted before, but I've done two things since then:
    1) installed a pcmcia-to-PCI bridge
    2) played netris like crazy during class. is CD melt a problem ?

    I've tried testcd and using expert and not probing scsi (i don't use scsi drives, nor do i knoe what that means) but it fails, without fail. any ideas please? i'm going to d/l the 9 /5 version but my connection is poor.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: worked before, now hangs at INIT!

    --Could be the cd just went bad. Easy to do after months of usage, all of a sudden the # of scratches prevent good reads. This is why it's a good idea to use poor man's install (copy x:\knoppix\knoppix to c:\knoppix\knoppix) and run from HD if you have space on the HD and use Knoppix frequently.

    ...and always keep the .iso around in case you have to burn another disc.

    Quote Originally Posted by chrsjav
    I'm using the 6 /6 /03 version, and when I boot now I get this message:

    INIT booting knoppix version 2.78 [or something similar]

    ...a huge pause (the CD drive does nothing) then an error message saying INIT failed or something.

    I've booted before, but I've done two things since then:
    1) installed a pcmcia-to-PCI bridge
    2) played netris like crazy during class. is CD melt a problem ?

    I've tried testcd and using expert and not probing scsi (i don't use scsi drives, nor do i knoe what that means) but it fails, without fail. any ideas please? i'm going to d/l the 9 /5 version but my connection is poor.

Similar Threads

  1. Boot hangs just after "INIT: version 2.78-knoppix"
    By onnrmf in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 02:38 PM
  2. knoppix26 INIT hangs, hda=ide-cd halts, 2.4.27 ok
    By p.lavarre in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-01-2005, 11:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 11:36 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-18-2003, 06:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor picture

Intel Xeon W-2255 SRGV8 3.7GHz 10-Core LGA2066 Server CPU Processor

$249.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 950W Workstation 4.00GHz W-2125 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$144.98