Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Can't set hostname.

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26

    Can't set hostname.

    Hello, I tried knoppix 3.3 and still I can't get my cable connected to the internet, I guess
    because my provider needs my hostname (computernaam). It simple refuses connection without that, has anyone a idea how I can set that before I try things like
    netcardconf etc.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Edit the file /etc/hostname as root and put the name in there then run netcardconfig. The command would be sudo gvim /etc/hostname if you are running from the CD.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    Thanks Stephen, I could set my hostname, further I seem to have another problem,
    because after that, netcardconfig says:

    sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed

    Whatever I found on another forum a suggest to type in a shell:

    pump -h `computername` -i eth0 ( as root on hd install)

    or:

    sudo -u root pump -h `computername` -i eth0 (from running cd)

    After that I was finally online, thanks for answering, still I am wondering why
    I can't configure netcard (realtek) and modem (motorola) in normal way.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by WimG
    still I am wondering why
    I can't configure netcard (realtek) and modem (motorola) in normal way.
    Good question that I don't really have a good answer for other than sometimes with hardware it's a toss up whether it will work in various combinations, good to hear you got it going though.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    4
    i have the same issue as Wim...
    using Knoppix v3.3 on CD


    i did the "sudo gvim /etc/hostname" thing and changed the line in that file to my hostname; CP121041-A
    that went fine, even went back to check if my changes got saved, and it did.

    but when i ran this thing here:
    sudo -u root pump -h 'CP121041-A' -i eth0

    it waits some seconds and then it says:
    Operation Failed


    i ran netcardconfig but... no luck
    got the same error as Wim

    does anyone has any ideas?
    keep in mind, i'm a complete n00b

  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26
    Hello FunForum,

    Probably you used the ' ' signes, try without, so:

    sudo -u root pump -h computername -i eth0

    maybe eth0 can be eth1 depends on your ethercard.

Similar Threads

  1. The colour of user@hostname~@: ?
    By e2k in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2004, 09:32 AM
  2. change hostname?
    By Valhalla in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-25-2004, 07:53 PM
  3. SUGGESTION: Specify hostname cheatcode
    By cascadefx in forum Ideas
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 07:25 AM
  4. Hostname on command line
    By Ambrose in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 02:17 AM
  5. How do I change the hostname?
    By jensen in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 10:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Cisco Power Supply picture

Cisco Power Supply

$3650.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89