Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: setserial ttys0 error???

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96

    setserial ttys0 error???

    Keep getting this error message

    Code:
    ttyS0:  LSR Safety Check Engaged
    Did some googling and found that if I run

    Code:
    set serial /dev0/ttys automatic
    This takes care of that error message.

    BUT, if I reboot, I have to do this
    all over again.

    How do I fix this one time?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Can you disable PnP in your BIOS? Post the output of lsmod please.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Here are my modules:

    Code:
    root@Probot:/home/cmmiller# lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
    capi                   17920   0
    capifs                  4012   1  [capi]
    kernelcapi             30592   1  [capi]
    capiutil               22848   0  [kernelcapi]
    usb-storage            68256   0  (unused)
    loop                    9752   0  (autoclean)
    lvm-mod                44960   0
    orinoco_cs              4788   0  (unused)
    orinoco                35372   0  [orinoco_cs]
    hermes                  6244   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]
    thermal                 6432   0  (unused)
    processor               8376   0  [thermal]
    fan                     1632   0  (unused)
    button                  2572   0  (unused)
    battery                 5856   0  (unused)
    asus_acpi               7612   0  (unused)
    ac                      1824   0  (unused)
    autofs4                10068   0  (unused)
    soundcore               3620   0
    af_packet              13640   0
    nls_iso8859-1           2844   0  (unused)
    ntfs                   55936   0  (unused)
    via-rhine              14512   1
    mii                     2496   0  [via-rhine]
    serial                 47876   0
    usb-uhci               23532   0  (unused)
    usbcore                62656   0  [usb-storage usb-uhci]
    ds                      6952   1  [orinoco_cs]
    yenta_socket           10592   1
    pcmcia_core            43104   0  [orinoco_cs ds yenta_socket]
    rtc                     6940   0
    Why do you think it may be PnP? It was working fine, then I apt-get and it loaded a package and boom, getting this error message.

    thanks

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    For some reason, I was missing serial.conf under /etc.

    I got a copy from another Knoppix user and rebooted and all is fine know.

    BUT, I have no idea why it was deleted.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    14
    Interesting. I've routinely disabled serial and parallel ports on my machines since I have no need for either. However I was receiving the same warning "ttyS0: LSR Safety Check Engaged" until I went back into the BIOS and enabled the ports. Knoppix evidently does not like a disabled serial port.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4

    Please post the serial.conf file so we can see how to write

    Please post the serial.conf file so we can see how to write
    Thanks

  7. #7
    yes please. If anyone have a proper serial.conf, or the proper solution to the "ttyS0: LSR safety check engaged" problem on a system without serial ports (my notebook for example), please email "nieder at mail dot ru".

    Thanks

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    When this happened, I was running Knoppix V3.2.

    Can't remember why, but I blew it away and did a fresh install of Knoppix V.3.3.

    Either way Knoppix is a sweet distro, and not having any problem with tty, but if it happens to anyone, get a serial.conf file and replace what you have. It fixed mine.

    thanks

  9. #9
    i think that's my problem. I don't have a /etc/serial.conf.
    Could you send yours to the email "nieder at mail dot ru" ?

    I tried disabling all serial support on the kernel, but that didn't help either.

    Thanks.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by niederberger
    i think that's my problem. I don't have a /etc/serial.conf.
    Could you send yours to the email "nieder at mail dot ru" ?

    I tried disabling all serial support on the kernel, but that didn't help either.

    Thanks.
    Tried to PM you, but looks like it ain't working.

    Anyways, sent you serial.conf.

    Here is the thing, I don't see it for V3.3, so I took it off of my Slackware 9.1 box.

Similar Threads

  1. d1x error
    By ptesone in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 05:09 PM
  2. Xine error after doing a Upgrade, error posted. (resolved)
    By Cuddles in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 04:30 PM
  3. ttyS0 seems to be held by brltty
    By locutus in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 05:19 PM
  4. mkisofs error: end request: I/O error, dev 02:00 (floppy...
    By labrador in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM
  5. Partition-error (Table written but error while reading!!!)
    By Mad_Max_FX in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 03:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER picture

NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER

$1499.97



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$229.95



Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays picture

Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5’’ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays

$799.99



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08