Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: changing the name of /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    12

    changing the name of /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

    I would like to change the name of the main file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX.
    What do I have to do during remastering? For sure I have to change paths in linuxrc
    (in miniroot.gz), and the name of the folder KNOPPIX in miniroot.gz. But what more?
    Is there any special documentation for building this booting engine?

    wk

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    35

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    12
    This is not exactly the case. I am trying to change the name of the file KNOPPIX to, let say, FOO.
    I also want to change the name of the directory KNOPPIX/ where the file is, to FOO, too. So, I am trying to force knoppix to boot from /cdrom/FOO/FOO or /hdaX/FOO/FOO. I have changed all paths
    /cdrom/KNOPPIX and /KNOPPIX in linuxrc and changed symlinks in miniroot. Bootengine finds the file FOO/FOO but returns fsck error saying that "the superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct filesystem." But the file is OK - I have checked it by renaming it back to KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX and boot with the standard boot.img and it works fine (no such errors). So probably I haven't changed something but have no idea what.
    But despite this problem: thanks very much to all - I was given a lot of help for the last few days.

    wk

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10

    Changing the name KNOPPI

    Hi

    Did you find the easy way changing the name /cdrom/KNOPPIX ?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    12

    Re: Changing the name KNOPPI

    Quote Originally Posted by LoRdxxx
    Hi

    Did you find the easy way changing the name /cdrom/KNOPPIX ?
    No, still have no idea what I did wrong.
    Did you find any not-so-easy ways of doing it?
    I'd be very appeciate for any suggestions.

    wk.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872

    Re: Changing the name KNOPPI

    Quote Originally Posted by wk
    Quote Originally Posted by LoRdxxx
    Hi

    Did you find the easy way changing the name /cdrom/KNOPPIX ?
    No, still have no idea what I did wrong.
    Did you find any not-so-easy ways of doing it?
    I'd be very appeciate for any suggestions.

    wk.
    It should really be just a one to two line changes(in linuxrc) as I do it frequently by keeping various ISO image on HD with naming like KNOPPIX_726, KNOPPIX_905(as newer KNOPPIX is not always the best). As far as can tell it really is just the line that search the first level KNOPPIX directory and the line that insmod cloop that needs to be changed.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10

    linuxrc

    Hi
    is editing the linuxrc enough for changing the KNOPPIX name ? in mini root path there is a number of files that linked to the KNOPPIX path.. Are they required to edit also ??

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    12

    Re: Changing the name KNOPPI

    Quote Originally Posted by garyng

    It should really be just a one to two line changes(in linuxrc) as I do it frequently by keeping various ISO image on HD with naming like KNOPPIX_726, KNOPPIX_905(as newer KNOPPIX is not always the best). As far as can tell it really is just the line that search the first level KNOPPIX directory and the line that insmod cloop that needs to be changed.
    Hmm, interesting because I have changed much more then two lines, so this is probably the problem. Could you send me your linuxrc file? (at [email protected] - delate NOSPAM. , of course). Thank in advance.
    wk

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    10

    Linuxrc

    could you explain the changed lines ? can you wite it here

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Poland
    Posts
    12

    Re: Linuxrc

    Quote Originally Posted by LoRdxxx
    could you explain the changed lines ? can you wite it here
    Well, there's not much to say: I have changed all the paths /KNOPPIX and /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX
    and the symlinks in miniroot (there are symlinks pointing to /etc /proc and other folders).
    That's all I did but it seems that was too much. I would still like to see your linuxrc file if it is not a problem

    best,
    wk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [usb cdrom] knoppix 3.8.2 cant find the knoppix filesystem
    By kpoman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 05:25 PM
  2. changing MAC on knoppix 3.4 orinoco
    By bil_912 in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-26-2004, 04:43 PM
  3. changing the resolution on knoppix!!
    By rchinnock88 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-19-2004, 08:12 PM
  4. changing user knoppix
    By saurav in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:55 AM
  5. knoppix cdrom boot fails on some cdrom players
    By Koga in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-11-2003, 12:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


LOT OF 8  Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3 picture

LOT OF 8 Samsung 32gb 2Rx8 PC4-3200AA RE3 12 DC1 Server Memory M393A4G43AB3

$1849.95



SK Hynix 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-11 RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-11 RAM HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.50



Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram picture

Lot Of 16Micron MTA36ASF2G72PZ-2G1A2IJ 16GB 2Rx4 PC4-2133P-RB0-10 ECC Server Ram

$960.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



SET OF 8 (64GB) - Micron MTA9ASF1G72PZ 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2666V-RD1-11 Memory picture

SET OF 8 (64GB) - Micron MTA9ASF1G72PZ 8GB 1RX8 PC4-2666V-RD1-11 Memory

$225.00



128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK picture

128GB (4x32GB) SK hynix DDR4 PC4-2666V RDIMM ECC Server Ram HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK

$799.00



Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC Registered Server RAM M393A4K40BB0-CPB0Q

$144.95



Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6 picture

Lot Of 8 Micron 8GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V-RE2-11 ECC REG Server Ram MTA18ASF1G72PDZ-2G6

$210.00