Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Version 3.3 2003-09-24 - Small Bug Fix.

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    well, I use kde CVS and it works, but I cant recommend that

    other things might break

    but you might update kde (and koffice) it might help...

  2. #12
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48
    Guys, (thanks Superstoned)

    I am freaking out!!!

    I cannot force my KNOPPIX to get connected to the Internet.
    I have a laptop HP Pavilion ZE4125 with PCMCIA D-Link DFE690TXD. Knoppix 3.2.
    My network connection is LAN with DHCP. When I run netcardconfig and chose DHCP it fails to assign an IP. However, under windows it is set to DHCP and works just fine. Therefore, I have written down all the settings (IP, netmask, default gateway) from windows and entered them manually under netcardconfig.

    When I type ifconfig -a it assigns the correct IP and netmask. However, I don't have an Internet connection still
    This is what I have entered:
    ifconfig eth0 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask 255.255.254.0
    route add default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX metric 1
    (XXX - taken from windows)

    then I modify my /etc/resolv.conf:
    nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

    ifdown -a
    ifup -a

    Then I try ping 127.0.0.1 - I got response (therefore my eth0 is up)
    ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - my IP (the same, I get response)

    When I try to ping anything else for example:
    ping www.google.com - I get nothing
    ping my_default_gw_IP - I get nothing


    Here are the outputs of the important commands:

    dmesg | grep eth:::::::

    eth0: D-Link DFE-690TXD (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xe084d000, 00:50:ba:a8:ce:58, IRQ 5
    eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
    eth1: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xe087a000, 00:c0:9f:15:65:11, IRQ 11.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    eth1: autonegotiation did not complete in 4000 usec.
    eth1: remaining active for wake-on-lan
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.
    NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
    eth0: Tx queue start entry 4 dirty entry 0.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
    eth0: Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
    eth0: Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
    eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated partner ability 41e1.


    WHEN I RUN
    mii-tool -r :::::::
    SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Invalid argument

    Please help me out. Tell me what to do.

    THNX

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Utrecht, The Netherlands
    Posts
    298
    me is really sorry I know nothing about networks, maybe someone else does... It really sucks deeply you can't get it working, and I cant give any tips, else than google your hardware for known issues etc etc...

    good luck good luck good luck!

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    27

    How to update my old Knoppix version with this changes?

    I have the previous Knoppix version (first 3.3) and I want to update cdrecord to work again. How to do this? Just update the packade, change the permissions or what?

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Minneapolis MN
    Posts
    6
    Aleu,

    Look in the networking threads here - http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2164 and give a look around for posts by Harry Kuhman. - Good luck (btw - I own the same laptop - it can be made to work, I just dont remember right off the top of my head - I think my post on how I did it is in that thread - if not post back)

    zipster

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hello everyone. I just installed Knoppix on CD, and it is a great program. It works great on my main computer which is a HP a250n. However, as one person posted, I am also having trouble with my laptop. It is a Compaq Persario 1020. The Ether Card is also the Linksys Model EC2T.
    When I do a dmesg, I see that PCI card service is not loaded, therefore I can not do any commands regarding PCI such as lspci -v
    When I do Ispci-v says command not found.
    Any help would be appreciate.
    Have a nice day!
    Vince

  7. #17
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    48
    ZIPSTER,

    Thanks! I have an Internet access again. I don't know what is going on, since I have used a cheat code noscsi but it helps with an Internet access.

    Once again thanks

  8. #18
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu
    Then I try ping 127.0.0.1 - I got response (therefore my eth0 is up)
    actually, that is the lo (loopback) device youre pinging, but that is just ant fucking *)
    ping XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX - my IP (the same, I get response)
    yup, now you are pinging a ethernet device
    dmesg | grep eth:::::::

    eth0: D-Link DFE-690TXD (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xe084d000, 00:50:ba:a8:ce:58, IRQ 5
    eth1: NatSemi DP8381[56] at 0xe087a000, 00:c0:9f:15:65:11, IRQ 11.
    [..]
    Well, it seems you have two ethernet devices installed.
    You might try:
    -To put the cable in the other ethernet device
    -To run "pump -i eth1" and/or "pump -i eth0" in a root shell (which is in the knoppix menu, i think)
    -To configure the eth1 device using netcardconfig (if that is possible, i dont know for sure)

    Good luck


    *) Dutch saying; to f*** ants ("mierenneuken") means that you are fussing over small things

    Don't you just hate it when you realise there is a second page only AFTER you posted a message?

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by Aleu
    Guys, (thanks Superstoned)

    I am freaking out!!!

    I cannot force my KNOPPIX to get connected to the Internet.
    I have a laptop HP Pavilion ZE4125 with PCMCIA D-Link DFE690TXD. Knoppix 3.2.
    My network connection is LAN with DHCP. When I run netcardconfig and chose DHCP it fails to assign an IP. However, under windows it is set to DHCP and works just fine. Therefore, I have written down all the settings (IP, netmask, default gateway) from windows and entered them manually under netcardconfig.

    When I type ifconfig -a it assigns the correct IP and netmask. However, I don't have an Internet connection still
    This is what I have entered:
    ifconfig eth0 XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX netmask 255.255.254.0
    route add default gw XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX metric 1
    (XXX - taken from windows)

    then I modify my /etc/resolv.conf:
    nameserver XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX

    ifdown -a
    ifup -a

    Then I try ping 127.0.0.1 - I got response (therefore my eth0 is up)
    Wrong, that means that lo, the local loopback device is up, and normally it's always up.
    What happens when you try dhclient?
    If that isn't installed, try
    "ifconfig eth0 up"
    "pump -i eth0"
    If you manage to get on the internet by typing these commands (maybe try them twice, it happens that they don't work from the first time), do apt-get install dhcp-client . Next time you boot your network card should work again.

    Maybe you can post the result of ifconfig eth0 here as well if it doesn't work.
    [/quote]

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    Aleu wrote:
    What is the next step? What are the commands to make it work?
    For example I have a 3Com589 PCMCIA card. What should I do to make it work?
    I have a 3Com589D PCMCIA card in my Compaq Armarda 7400 and Knoppix picks it up every time. Try using that card instead of the D-Link...it may be slow (10 MB) and require a dongle, but at least it works with native drivers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. * V3.2-2003-03-23 (small updates)
    By Tigren in forum News
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 12-31-2008, 04:06 PM
  2. New version 2003-09-05
    By jaws75 in forum News
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-21-2003, 03:23 AM
  3. Version 3.2-2003-04-15
    By Stephen in forum News
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 05:08 AM
  4. V3.2-2003-03-30 (small update)
    By aay in forum News
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 04-09-2003, 12:50 AM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW picture

Samsung DVI to DVI Cable 6 ft Digital Video Interface Audio Video NEW

$30.89



Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 15.6” FHD Snapdragon X 16GB 512GB Copilot+ picture

Samsung Galaxy Book4 Edge 15.6” FHD Snapdragon X 16GB 512GB Copilot+

$499.99



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Digitizer 100% Original Oem

$152.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc picture

Kids Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+/A9 plus 11 Inch 2023 Case, with Strap, Shoc

$27.99



Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible picture

Samsung JC95-01514A Cover-Side Roller T2 Compatible

$39.00



Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2 picture

Samsung JC93-01078A Transfer Roller T2

$89.00



Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD picture

Samsung PC4-2666V 16GB 2Rx8 RAM DDR4 2666MHz M471A2K43CB1-CTD

$59.99



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34

Samsung LC34G55TWDNXZA 34" Odyssey G55T WQHD 165Hz 1ms(MPRT) AMD FreeSync HDR

$217.00