Well I found your idea very interesting.
I am not programmer so I can't help on coding but I can test
the script when/if created![]()
after installing knoppix 3.3 with knoppix-installer i decided to try and update the system
note: if you don't wan't a swap partition you must export IGNORE_CHECK=1 or it won't let you proceed
i was warned against useing dist-upgrade as it tends to kill kde
so i used apt-get upgrade and it upgraded some stuff but a lot was not upgraded
after some manual work i managed to get it to the point of 0 not upgraded but it was quite a bit of work and involved removeing some broken devel packages and such
this is obviously beyond a newbie
my idea is to have a program which works out what pacakges have been added upgraded downgraded or removed since my install (useing dpkg -l output)
then the program can be run on another machine to apply the changes file this will be done by comparing the changes file with the local dpkg-l and generating an apt-get command (with packge versions included on the command line)
what do people think if you like the idea i may well code it![]()
Well I found your idea very interesting.
I am not programmer so I can't help on coding but I can test
the script when/if created![]()
ok i discovered dpkg -l output to be unsuitable because it truncates important fields lukilly the list of installed packages is in /var/lib/dpkg/status in plain text
however this file is not sorted in any way which could make compareing harder
COLUMNS=120 dpkg -l | grep ii to get a listing of everything installed 120 columns wide if you make the console window > 120 wide then everything will be on one line per package installed.Originally Posted by plugwash
if i set witdth 120 am i gaurenteed to get the full names and versions
or is there a still chance of something getting cut short
There is no guarentee that the full package name will not be larger than the column if it is increase the size of the column number and repeat the command.Originally Posted by plugwash

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$95.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI
$195.00
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN
$229.99
Netgate SG-2100 pfSense Plus 26.07 Firewall VPN Router - Wiped, Fresh Install
$174.99
10GbE pfSense Firewall VPN AES QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 32GB DDR4 256GB SSD
$220.00
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00
Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot
$95.99