Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: System halts on USB keychain drive insertion

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4

    System halts on USB keychain drive insertion

    When I boot up Knoppix 3.3 on CD, everything goes fine unless I have the USB drive inserted. If I have it inserted at boot, it hangs when it's detecting partitions and updating fstab. If I don't insert it, it will boot as normal. If I insert it once fully booted up, it will hang after a short period. Before it hangs here, I can do a dmesg and it shows the device being detected. It hasn't shown up in fstab at this point. By hanging I mean that I lose all control of mouse and keyboard, capslock doesn't even respond. Screen freezes.

    The USB drive I have is the SanDisk Cruzer Mini 256MB. This drive works perfectly well under Debian stable using the usb-storage module. I have tried this with more than one computer with identical results. I've looked through the FAQ and google'd around for a few hours, nothing. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1
    Hi there,
    I use Knoppix 3.2 and 3.3 and have the same problem. I try to save my harddisk to an USB-storage Maxtor 500LE with the following command:
    dd if=/dev/hda of=/mnt/sda1/hda.img
    But after a short time the system hang totally. The only way is to switch off the power supply.

    But i got a Knoppix 3.0 and this old Version works fine.
    I estimate the parallel support from UHCI and OHCI since KNOPPIX 3.1 reported in ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/knoppix/KNOPPIX-CHANGELOG.txt is the reason.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    Interesting. Where could I locate a copy of 3.0? I'd certainly like to try that until this current bug gets resolved. Thanks for the response.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    I use a smaller usb flash drive in 3.2 (KNOPPIX_V3.2-2003-06-06-EN.iso) and it works just fine. 3.1 worked fine, too. You'll be able -- I think -- to snag one or the other from somewhere.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4
    I was playing around with it some more, the problem appears to be stemming from the autofs service. If I turn that off, then insert the usb drive, I can manually bring the drive up by inserting the usb-uhci, usb-storage, and usb-core modules. This works fine, but doesn't bring me any closer to persistent home directories

Similar Threads

  1. Knoppix halts checking for USB
    By New2Knoppix in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2004, 03:39 AM
  2. USB Thumbdrive/keychain NTFS ISO boot/Poor Man's Install
    By semreh in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2004, 10:07 AM
  3. System hangs during boot with USB flash drive attached
    By farcha in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM
  4. System halts after loading miniroot.gz
    By thanos in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-27-2003, 01:57 PM
  5. Run Knoppix on System with no HDD, Hard drive
    By aortiz32 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-16-2003, 02:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM picture

SK HYNIX 32GB 2RX4 PC4 2666V ECC SERVER RAM

$199.00



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$573.98



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQKOL 32GB PC5-4800B DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQKOL 32GB PC5-4800B DDR5 Memory

$430.00



Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQKOL 32GB PC5-4800B DDR5 Memory picture

Samsung M323R4GA3BB0-CQKOL 32GB PC5-4800B DDR5 Memory

$430.00



5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT picture

5 in 1 Memory Card Reader USB 3.0 OTG Adapter SD Card Reader For iPhone/iPad LOT

$9.99



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00