-
First Starting Up
::Before you read, yes i am a newb::
I start up knoppix I login then I try typing
startkde- then it just goes crazy saying cant connect to x server
xserver- warning priority set to -11 instead of requested priority 10
Fatal Server Error:
cannot creat lock file in /tmp/.txo-lock
root@none:/#(is this the problem?)
Thanks in advance
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: First Starting Up

Originally Posted by
brlund
::Before you read, yes i am a newb::
I start up knoppix I login then I try typing
startkde- then it just goes crazy saying cant connect to x server
xserver- warning priority set to -11 instead of requested priority 10
Fatal Server Error:
cannot creat lock file in /tmp/.txo-lock
root@none:/#(is this the problem?)
Thanks in advance
You log in. From text mode I presume? Are you booting with any of the cheat codes available? What kind of video card?
You can also try startx.
-
sorry for my lack of details:
I have onboard video on my gateway baby-at motherboard
yes i log in as root
when i try startx it keeps repeating (somethingidontremember): cannot start x server
Thanks!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I have onboard video on my gateway baby-at motherboard
I have never so much as rebooted a Gateway before so that really doesn't tell me much. My video card is an ATI Radeon 7200 w/ 128M AGP. What's your chipset? There are cheat codes in the Docs section to specify the type of driver needed for Xwindows to work on your particular video chipset.
yes i log in as root
when i try startx it keeps repeating (somethingidontremember): cannot start x server
The part you can't remember is what we need. There will actually be some useful error messages there. Write it down if nothing else.
Similar Threads
-
By Tomster in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-18-2004, 12:56 AM
-
By bayers in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-30-2004, 05:17 AM
-
By fkbangun in forum Networking
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-27-2003, 08:33 AM
-
By DavidTempler in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-07-2003, 09:17 PM
-
By cp2302 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-19-2002, 09:00 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$334.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black
$313.00

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD
$219.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 1 14.0" 16GB 512GB, BLACK
$285.99

Lenovo 14W 14” Laptop AMD A6-9220C Radeon R5 4GB RAM 64GB eMMC Win 10 Pro
$99.99