Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Blasted savage problems

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1

    Blasted savage problems

    I'm running an Athlon 1700 machine that has an S3 Savage KM266 chipset. Now I know that the Savage support in Linux is notoriously poor, but I'm a bit off-put by the erratic behavior of the driver included in the Knoppix distro.

    I was able to boot Knoppix 3.3 just fine, and used it to perform a Debian install to my hard drive. Both were working fine. Then in what I hope was an unrelated incident, the Apple monitor I had been using died (my main computer is a Mac, and I switch between them via KVM). I hooked up a Dell monitor (which probes as DEL550) and the hard drive install would then freeze upon my attempts to configure the monitor in the KDE Control Center. (This is to be expected I suppose, since it's a different monitor and all.)

    What is MOST mysterious is that now the Knoppix CD doesn't play nice with the display; with the Apple one it would blink a few times before settling on a configuration (usually at a lower vert. refresh than I would like, but "eh") but now I just get a bad signal (out of sync) but the pretty lady just goes on intiating her startup sequence.

    The only cheat code that seems to make a difference is forcing the machine to use the vesa driver, but the resulting HD install can't start X at all.... it says no screens found. I've monkeyed around with the XFree86Config-4 file a good bit, and tried the most recent savage drivers I could on the web, but to no avail.

    Anybody have any similar kind of experience?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1

    Same chipset

    Nearly the same thing here. VIA KM266/VT8375 I also loose the video signal as soon as X is loaded. I also switched to "vesa" driver & performed a HD install with no problems. The fact that your Apple monitor worked is interesting. There must be something easy that can be tweaked. I also messed with XFree86Config-4 for hours & tried the driver from probo as well, no luck.

    19" Gateway monitor is properly detected, etc.

    Should we move these posts to the Hardware section perhaps?

Similar Threads

  1. Version 3.6 Still Has Old Savage Driver
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
  2. Savage Driver(S3 Savage Pro KM266) Here
    By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 08-18-2004, 09:55 AM
  3. S3 Savage KM133 video driver
    By ProDJ Tech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-24-2004, 04:33 PM
  4. Knoppix Problems or Hardware Problems
    By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
  5. s3 savage 2003
    By pat1 in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-18-2003, 03:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



ASRock Z890 Nova WiFi LGA 1851 Intel Z890 ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock Z890 Nova WiFi LGA 1851 Intel Z890 ATX Motherboard

$184.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX Intel LGA1700 DDR5 Wi-Fi 6E Gaming picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX ATX Intel LGA1700 DDR5 Wi-Fi 6E Gaming

$125.00



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.99



MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard picture

MSI B460m-Bomber LGA 1200 Intel 10th Gen B460 M-ATX Intel Motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-P LGA 1200 Intel Z490 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard NEW

$121.45