-
Blasted savage problems
I'm running an Athlon 1700 machine that has an S3 Savage KM266 chipset. Now I know that the Savage support in Linux is notoriously poor, but I'm a bit off-put by the erratic behavior of the driver included in the Knoppix distro.
I was able to boot Knoppix 3.3 just fine, and used it to perform a Debian install to my hard drive. Both were working fine. Then in what I hope was an unrelated incident, the Apple monitor I had been using died (my main computer is a Mac, and I switch between them via KVM). I hooked up a Dell monitor (which probes as DEL550) and the hard drive install would then freeze upon my attempts to configure the monitor in the KDE Control Center. (This is to be expected I suppose, since it's a different monitor and all.)
What is MOST mysterious is that now the Knoppix CD doesn't play nice with the display; with the Apple one it would blink a few times before settling on a configuration (usually at a lower vert. refresh than I would like, but "eh") but now I just get a bad signal (out of sync) but the pretty lady just goes on intiating her startup sequence.
The only cheat code that seems to make a difference is forcing the machine to use the vesa driver, but the resulting HD install can't start X at all.... it says no screens found. I've monkeyed around with the XFree86Config-4 file a good bit, and tried the most recent savage drivers I could on the web, but to no avail.
Anybody have any similar kind of experience?
Similar Threads
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-06-2004, 08:50 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 15
Last Post: 08-18-2004, 09:55 AM
-
By ProDJ Tech in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 05-24-2004, 04:33 PM
-
By mindmeddler2003 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 07:29 PM
-
By pat1 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-18-2003, 03:47 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99