Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Can't un-write protect anything on my hard drive

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6

    Can't un-write protect anything on my hard drive

    I'm using Knoppix on my XP laptop. So far it's pretty cool, EXCEPT for the fact that I can't seem to un-write protect anything on my hard drive. All folders and files come write and read enabled for "user" but everything else is disabled. Any changes I attempt to make to any folders or files is unsuccessful. (it gives me an error message) I don't know if this is some sort of vengeful Microsoft backlash or what, but it's really hindering anything I can do with Knoppix. Any help?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    What filesystem are you using?

    linux is not safely able to write to ntfs partitions, fat32 or fat16 are fine.

    ~rock

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    6
    Yeah, I just saw that about NTFS. Hadn't occured to me to check since I always format FAT32, but this was someone else's lappy before and they used NTFS. Grrrr. Ahh well, I can reformat to FAT32 later.

Similar Threads

  1. I cant write to hard disk
    By cubrovic in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-03-2004, 01:19 AM
  2. Hard Drive Salvage from corrupted Windows XP NTFS drive
    By kidsatacrux in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 07:41 AM
  3. Could not write to ... External USB Hard Drive
    By autumnhome in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-14-2004, 07:45 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-11-2003, 01:56 PM
  5. I can't write on Hard disk!
    By aydin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 05:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77



New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW picture

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW

$120.00



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



LOT 10: Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM picture

LOT 10: Samsung M393A4K40BB2-CTD7Y 32GB 2Rx4 PC4-2666V DDR4 ECC RDIMM Server RAM

$1749.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5 128GB Samsung KEY BOARD 128GB picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5 128GB Samsung KEY BOARD 128GB

$150.00



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung Solid State Drive Model 2.5 in Internal SSD Gray/Black picture

Samsung Solid State Drive Model 2.5 in Internal SSD Gray/Black

$149.00