Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: WINE Problems

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2

    WINE Problems

    I Wanna know How I can Run trillian in wine, Running from Cd...

    and Was also wondering How I Can get Ettercap running on Knoppix-std...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353

    Re: WINE Problems

    Quote Originally Posted by DanMc
    I Wanna know How I can Run trillian in wine, Running from Cd...

    and Was also wondering How I Can get Ettercap running on Knoppix-std...
    I'm sorry but why would you want to use Trillian under WINE when you can use things things like Gaim or Kopete natively under linux?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    9
    Trillian works under WINE, though buggily. From your post, you mention that you want to run it from CD? I'm gonna go ahead and assume that means that you have Trillian installed on a Windows install on the machine, and you want to run it from Knoppix when you use the Knoppix CD on that machine? If that is the case, I think you may be out of luck. I was never able (and I spent a week trying) to get Trillian to run from within the Windows partition using WINE. The only way Trillian will run (in my experience) in WINE is by running the Trillian installer with WINE inside of Knoppix, and then you'd still have to set up your accounts and contacts (I'm guessing that one of the reasons you want to run Trillian from within the Windows partition is to have access to your locally stored buddy lists and the like). And even though it does work, it's a bit buggy, some of the menus seem to flicker oddly, the entire application seems to be less responsive than usual, and it has a bad habit of getting stuck on top of all the other windows and not going away.

    To recap: Trillian does not seem to run under WINE from within a Windows partition, you have to resintall Trillian into your Linux partition using WINE to get it to run, and even then it runs buggily.

    Personally, while I love using Trillian on my Windows machines, it really doesn't run very well under Linux, and it's not really neccesary, when there's a plethora of good native multi-client IM programs for Linux. Knoppix brings GAIM by default, and it's excellent, and you migth want to try installing Kopete, which I use every day and love (often better than GAIM, in my opinion). Sure, you'll have to set up your accounts again, but you would have had to do that anyway when reinstalling Trillian... and if you have a USB memory key, Knoppix can store your account settings for GAIM on there so you don't have to re-enter them every time you boot up from the CD.

    Edit: 'Fraid I can't help you on the Ettercap thing, tho.

Similar Threads

  1. WINE
    By tzulberti in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 12:44 PM
  2. WINE problems/usage/issues - revisited
    By Cuddles in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 08:36 PM
  3. Problems running photoshop 7.0 under wine
    By TheTempest in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2004, 10:32 PM
  4. wine
    By Veal_calf in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-16-2004, 01:43 AM
  5. Anyone else having Wine problems under 2.6.0-test9?
    By katsushiro in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 01:45 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX picture

Western Digital WD Blue 1TB SATA 3.5in 7200RPM 64MB Internal HDD WD10EZEX

$14.99



HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%) picture

HGST HUA723030ALA640 3TB SATA 7200 RPM 3.5 in Enterprise HDD | 0F14044 (100%)

$45.00



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5

Seagate ST8000DM004 8TB 3.5" 6Gb/s 256MB SATA HDD P/N: 2CX188-300 Tested

$149.99