Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Easy network monitoring tool in Knoppix?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7

    Easy network monitoring tool in Knoppix?

    Hi there!

    Does anybody know if there is any simple internet traffic tool in Knoppix? I need something easy and simple, a blinking icon with average and current network activity info or similar. I don't need a powerful tool like Ethereal, just something to monitor my DSL connection in those aspects.

    I've tried out Ethereal, but it is too powerful for what I want it for!

    Thanks a lot!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Easy network monitoring tool in Knoppix?

    --Use icewm instead of Kde, this tool is located at the bottom-right of screen.

    --Text-based utils (these are what I use) :
    ' nice pppstatus -s 1540 -i ppp0 ' (there are different speed settings available)

    --And you can also install ' ethstatus ', ' ntop ' (GUI-based, gives a nice graph) and a bunch of others:

    http://www.topology.org/comms/netmon.html

    --You can run the text-based stuff in xterm/rxvt/whatever and move the windows to workspace 4 (or something) where they're out of the way, but easily accessible. In text-mode, I run ' screen -aA ' and start ' nice pppstatus ' and ' nice top -d 10 '.

    Quote Originally Posted by IdroJ
    Hi there!
    Does anybody know if there is any simple internet traffic tool in Knoppix? I need something easy and simple, a blinking icon with average and current network activity info or similar. I don't need a powerful tool like Ethereal, just something to monitor my DSL connection in those aspects.

    I've tried out Ethereal, but it is too powerful for what I want it for!

    Thanks a lot!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7
    Thanks a lot, pppstatus is more or less what I was looking for. But, I have a question. Why do you use "nice"? Why changing priority of pppstatus?

    Thanks again!

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Since it's doing almost realtime-updates, this allows other processes to grab CPU time if things get busy. You don't want your system monitors using 20% CPU, causing both your CD burn to underflow and your currently-playing MP3 to sound like a broken record.

    Quote Originally Posted by IdroJ
    Thanks a lot, pppstatus is more or less what I was looking for. But, I have a question. Why do you use "nice"? Why changing priority of pppstatus?

    Thanks again!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    7
    It is clear now.
    Thanks!

Similar Threads

  1. Wireless signal quality monitoring?
    By Harry Kuhman in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 03:18 AM
  2. Need bandwidth monitoring tool.
    By gonzo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-26-2005, 07:51 AM
  3. mmkcdrom - the easy KNOPPIX-CD-creation tool out now
    By holzhey in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 09:31 AM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-28-2003, 08:43 PM
  5. lm-sensors for temperature monitoring
    By oscar in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 05:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Seagate 3.5

Seagate 3.5" Desktop HDD 3TB SATA III 6Gbps HDD 1ER166-510

$39.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5

Seagate ST1000VM002 1TB 5900RPM 3.5" SATA 6Gb/s HDD | PC DVR CCTV | | 1Y

$55.95