Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: a few hdd install questions

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19

    a few hdd install questions

    As a "knoppix n00b",

    I have only tried it since last weekend.

    Someone gave me a burned copy of 3.1 ages ago, but I never got round to trying it.

    But since I have installed debian sarge, and had lots of problems, someone at my LUG reminded that you can boot knoppix and install to my hard drive, hence my finding this forum.

    Well, all I can say is "WOW". Very, very impressive(so I have also downloaded 3.2 )

    It seems to detect all my hardware, only minor config for my ethernet card and net access. the only thing that I didn't check out was printers, but that can wait.

    My questions are that If I do the Hdd install, do I loose any of the configuration detected by the live version. Also I note that this forum title "when installed to the Hdd, it basically becomes debian" so does it do the stuff like configuring appropriate sources for "apt-get" or do I have to work that out myself? (sorry, being a noob at this debian thing - even attempts at minor configuration turn into major events for me!)

    regards

    John

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: a few hdd install questions

    Quote Originally Posted by bigjohn

    My questions are that If I do the Hdd install, do I loose any of the configuration detected by the live version.
    Well the autoconfig doesn't run everytime you boot if that's what you're wondering but it isn't necessary either. It is possible however to simply invoke the autoconfig script yourself if necessary.

    Also I note that this forum title "when installed to the Hdd, it basically becomes debian" so does it do the stuff like configuring appropriate sources for "apt-get" or do I have to work that out myself? (sorry, being a noob at this debian thing - even attempts at minor configuration turn into major events for me!)
    Yes, you will have an /etc/apt/sources.list installed. There are some things that still need to be worked out in making the transition from live cd to hdd install but they are usually fairly simple to resolve. If you successfully bootsrapped Debian then you shouldn't really have alot of trouble tweaking Knoppix into shape. Of course there's only one way to find out.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    5100N 0019W
    Posts
    19
    Thanks for the reply rickenbacherus,

    What I meant, was that because the auto detection facility of knoppix is so good, when compared to a "normal" debian install, I was thinking that if it detected all my various hardware items, then once installed on my hard disk, I wouldn't have to mess around too much. Surely the various hardware preferences, once detected would be "saved" as preferences.

    I appreciate that the "autodetect" doesn't need to run everytime I would boot into the hard disk install (afterall, that is only really needed when running from a cd), but if I had to re detect/select the various preferences everytime I boot into the knoppix/debian hdd install, then I wouldn't be gaining anything by installing it to my hard drive?

    These are the lines on which I am thinking, because even after about a month or so of having a debian install, I still can't get it looking as I really want it. The goal being to get it as close (visually and functionally) to my mandrake 9.1 install (having only settled on mandrake thus far, because I am not really into the how's and why's of the software, the aim being to have a fully functional desktop system that will do everything - well as much as possible - that my windows XP will/can do, but a system which is in no way related to microsoft!).

    In truth, what I know about linux systems, could easily be written on the back of a very small postage stamp

    regards

    John

Similar Threads

  1. Some serious questions after hdd-install......
    By Luke Riches in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 08:15 AM
  2. Some questions for HD install...
    By mike19 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 01:11 AM
  3. Post install questions (firewire hdd install)
    By c123 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 09:31 AM
  4. HD install questions
    By binarybum in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-10-2004, 04:10 PM
  5. HD install questions
    By Slo in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 06:31 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$71.49



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK picture

Dell XPS 8940 Desktop Motherboard Intel H470 LGA1200 DDR4 K3CM7 KV3RP 427JK

$154.99