Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Sony USB Microvault as persistent storage

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    Sony USB Microvault as persistent storage

    The USBVIEW tool detects the Sony MicroVault 128MB USB storage device when I plug it in, but I can't figure out what device, if any, it's mapped to so I can mount it as a file system.

    QwikDisk never shows it as an available device.

    Where do I start?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    More info: The device can be mounted as /dev/sda, but not /dev/sda1. If I try

    mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/test

    I get errors about the device.

    It works if /dev/sda is used instead. Unfortunately, /dev/sda is not in the set of devices used by the "save Knoppix config" utiliity.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3

    Facing the same problem

    I have a 128 MB USB Sony MicroVault device.

    I am facing the same problem. It shows sda1, sda2, sda3 and sda4 on the desktop. Whenever I try to open it, I get a message saying something like "I could not recognise the file system" or something like that.


  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    Does it work for you as /dev/sda? I'm playing around now with setting a persistent image file in the hidden partition Dell put on my computer.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    3
    Hi!

    That was a super quick reply.

    Once Knoppix loads, I initiated terminal and typed:

    mount /dev/sda /mnt/(directory name)

    And then I could see the contents. I even copied the contents on to Knoppix's ramdisk. It worked fine. Though, it seemed to work a little slower (not sure). While the device was attached, I tried to view the contents thru Knoppix's file manager. First time, it didnt show me the contents, second time it halted for a very long time. The behaviour was strange. I guess there's some problem with the kernel or Sony must have adopted some weird circuitory design that it is giving problem. I am saying this because I faced problem while using Puppy Linux too!

    You can visit this link to view what I've written at Puppy Linux's forum OR read what I've pasted after this.:
    http://www.goosee.com/puppy/forum/index.shtml

    I hope we get a solution soon. I really want to use this drive with the encryption enabled (I am using Knoppix-MIB).

    "I decided to install Puppy Linux on my Sony Microvault 128MB USB device that I bought today. When I run syslinux.com, I get a message saying something like Boot Record corrupted or something like that. I guess it is happening only with Sony Microvault and not other USB devices.

    To view the contents in this device, while running Puppy linux, I have to execute the following command:

    mount /dev/sda /mnt/(directory name)

    I have to use 'sda' instead of 'sda1'/'sda2'/etc.. Why?

    The contents in the MicroVault are displayed in the old DOS format (when Puppy linux is running).

    I tried this device with Knoppix and there too I am facing some problems. To view the contents I have to execute the same command, but it displays long file names. I was able to copy files from the Microvault to 'ramdisk' successfully. But at times, the system would halt while trying to view the contents in Knoppix's file manager. I am not able to understand what is wrong."

Similar Threads

  1. USB storage devices
    By srowe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-13-2004, 02:05 AM
  2. usb-storage
    By tommy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2004, 07:37 AM
  3. Accessing Persistent Storage after Booting into Knoppix?
    By gramplex in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 08:03 PM
  4. storage and more what you thing about this.......
    By cowmamba in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-04-2003, 05:45 AM
  5. data storage
    By Sucker in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2003, 09:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$105.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps picture

SAMSUNG SSD 512GB 500GB 480GB 256GB 250GB 240GB SSD 2.5 Solide State Drive 6Gbps

$37.99



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$74.99



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60