Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: crystal audio CS4236

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3

    crystal audio CS4236

    I have a Acer v58xa mother board from a old aptiva and I am trying to get knoppix to run on it. Everything went smooth except I cant get the audio to work. Kde boots and says one of two things cant open sound device or no such directory. I have run lspci and it does not seem to show up. I tried running sndconfig when it fails auto detection I try to select it from the list when it says segmentation fault and closes. I have tried alsa-autoconfig also and it says building carddatabase and closes. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    Under Knoppix Sound - no cs4236 !
    modprobe soundcore
    modprobe cs4232

    Under ALSA Sound:
    modprobe snd-cs4236-lib
    modprobe snd-cs4236
    If modprobe doesn't work, cd /lib/modules/extra/alsa and try again.

    ALSA on knoppix didn't have all the drivers I needed, so I downloaded ALSA (about 4 tar package's) and installed them in /usr/local/alsa .


  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    101
    ALSA - also modprobe snd



  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    The knoppix sound config crashes. And when I try modprobe for alsa it says cannot find module. I tried alsaconf and selecting the chip. I go through the configuration till it says no such file or directory. I tried updating the alsa packages also.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    I would strongly suggest replacing your card or onboard sound with a newer C-Media card. An OEM C-Media 8738 4 channel card costs around $12 U.S. Not only is it fully LINUX compatable - it sounds great!

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by treegezer
    I reinstalled from the knoppix cd and it worked. Odd... The only reason I am using the onboard sound is becaus its a portable Mp3 file server of types. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Good it worked out for you. Cheers!

Similar Threads

  1. Audio CD
    By Dioxin in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2005, 06:35 PM
  2. Problem with audio
    By Rat attack in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2004, 11:36 AM
  3. Cannot Play Audio CDs
    By JockVSJock in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-28-2003, 03:20 PM
  4. Audio in Knoppix
    By DeEjAyCaRrAs in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-19-2003, 07:07 PM
  5. usb-audio able to be disabled?
    By RoZWeLLiTe in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-30-2003, 06:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM picture

Major Brand 8 GB PC3L-12800 (DDR3-1600) 2Rx8 DDR3L Laptop Memory RAM

$10.99



Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB) picture

Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)

$164.95



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM 3000MHz CMR16GX4M2C3000C16 picture

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 RAM 3000MHz CMR16GX4M2C3000C16

$70.99



Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu picture

Team Group T-Create Expert RAM 32gb (2 x 16gb) 6000 Mhz DDR5 Desktop Memory Modu

$399.95



Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM picture

Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM

$37.99



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH picture

SK Hynix 128GB (4 x 32GB) PC4-2400T DDR4 ECC Server Memory HMA84GR7MFR4N-UH

$649.95



LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total) picture

LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)

$129.99



P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N picture

P43330-0A1 HPE 32GB 2RX8 PC5-4800B DDR5 SERVER RAM P43328-B21 / HMCG88MEBRA107N

$1100.00