Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: kernel update with apt-get?

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    10

    kernel update with apt-get?

    Hi All
    I have installed Knoppix to my HD and run apt-get - upgraded just about everything and added a few apps as well. I noticed that various kernels were in the list af available items.
    I was wondering if a kernel update using apt-get is possible - or desirable.
    My present kernel is 2.4.19 xfs
    Thanks for any help.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: kernel update with apt-get?

    --I wouldn't do that if I were you... AFAIK, the best way to upgrade the kernel is to DL the source code from www.kernel.org and compile it manually; but then again, I'm kinda old-school. LOL

    -If your kernel works, no real need to upgrade unless you want new features/drivers/bugfixes. One of my servers is still on 2.4.19.

    --The latest Knoppix ISO comes with the latest kernel, usually.

    Quote Originally Posted by my2cents
    Hi All
    I have installed Knoppix to my HD and run apt-get - upgraded just about everything and added a few apps as well. I noticed that various kernels were in the list af available items.
    I was wondering if a kernel update using apt-get is possible - or desirable.
    My present kernel is 2.4.19 xfs
    Thanks for any help.

  3. #3
    Guest
    Thanks very much for the advice! I will do that - when I get up the necessary nerve.

Similar Threads

  1. How to update kernel 2.4.xx to 2.6.xx
    By powerbychanin in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2004, 05:23 AM
  2. Kernel update
    By Bazou in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-14-2004, 09:12 AM
  3. problem of update the Knoppix 3.3 Kernel to 2.6.5
    By lmsaga in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-25-2004, 12:29 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.4 ct kernel update
    By jollyagp in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 09:15 PM
  5. apt-get to update kernel?
    By WankelWannabe in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2003, 03:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$149.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays picture

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays

$599.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount picture

Dell PowerEdge R730 Server 2x Xeon E5-2630 V4 64GB DDR4 2TB HDD Rackmount

$489.99



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00