Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Carmgr locks when booting Knoppix 3.3 and Orinoco

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8

    Carmgr locks when booting Knoppix 3.3 and Orinoco

    I have recently purchased a Compaq 2100Z (AMD Processor).
    Using older and the latest version 3.3 of Knoppix (latest version boots MUCH faster) the system boots fine.

    But, when using the orinoco silver wireless card, it hangs on the card manager:

    cardmgr[58]: executing: 'modproge orinoco_cs'

    I would either like to resolve this issue, or, get a recommendation of another card that I can use with knoppix and kismet / airsnort.

    Any suggestions on a fix or a different wireless card? I need one that is readily available as I am using this on several laptops.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Just a thought: is the bios set (or settable) to non-pnp OS?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    The BIOS settings are very few. No option for PNP.
    About the only user configurable changes are for the
    LPT port, and disabling USB Legacy Support, which you have to do to get most of the Linux distros to work on it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7

    Me too!

    Argh - I'm having the same problem with a Toshiba 2060cds (amd K6 366, 160mb ram). I have an Orinogo gold card with the latest firmware (dloaded from orinocowireless.com yesterday), and I'm trying to get it going with Knoppix V3.3 (2003-09-24-EN). Upon bootup, Knoppix hangs as it tries to load the orinoco_cs module.

    So far, I've turned the PNP OS setting (not called that, but similar) both on and off, I've setup PCMCIA for both PCIC-compatibile and 16-bit/cardbus compatible, I've tried other orinoco cards, etc. When I remove the card before booting, it starts up just fine. If I insert the card after the machine is booted, the machine hangs.

    Is this a Knoppix problem, a orinoco_cs module problem, a pcmcia system problem... ?!? If anyone has any tips, I'd greatly appreciate them.

    Thanks!
    Jeff

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8
    I do not believe it is a Knoppix issue. I have the same issues when
    installing Linux on the box (SUse, Red Hat, etc.)

    If you figure anything out let me know, and I will do the same.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Has their been any progress on this issue as I too have the same problems.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8

    Problem Solved

    Actually a friend of mine has managed to get this working. I am teaching this week so won't have time to get details, but if you post something here next week it will notify me and I will reply with the specifics.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    4
    Thanks alot Ill be sure to to do that.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    8

    e-mail me for details

    grandb at verizon net

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    7

    Followup...

    Hello -- just looking to see if you (grandb) have a sec to post that fix for this problem (toshiba / orinoco / knoppix).

    Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:38 PM
  2. Problem when booting Knoppix (Orinoco Silver PCMCIA)
    By jsl81 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-28-2004, 01:04 PM
  3. Problem when booting Knoppix (Orinoco Silver PCMCIA)
    By jsl81 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-26-2004, 05:53 AM
  4. Knoppix locks up on playing sound
    By talon0769 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 07:18 PM
  5. Knoppix Locks My Computer
    By ruined in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 05:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Amiga Commodore A500  - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage picture

Amiga Commodore A500 - Untested-For Parts or Repair - Vintage

$200.00



Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ picture

Microbotics Starboard 2MB + SCSI Sidecar for Amiga 1000 Vintage Computer READ

$329.00



RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500 picture

RGB2HDMI Amiga 500 UltraLong (Accelerator Friendly) HDMI Games, non-RTG A500

$50.00



(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T) picture

(10) BOXED Games for Commodore Amiga 500 600 1000 1200 2000 3000(T) 4000(T)

$329.98



Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On picture

Amiga Model 1080 RGB color CRT monitor - Parts Or Repair - Doesn’t Power On

$100.00



Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy picture

Commodore Amiga 500 w/ 512K comes with manuals, turns on and boots from floppy

$499.99



Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000 picture

Amiga Emplant Emulator Card For Commodore Amiga 2000 4000 3000

$249.00



Commodore 1084S-D 14

Commodore 1084S-D 14" CRT Monitor For Amiga / C128/64, 1084 Docs, Works

$355.00



Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2 picture

Best FlickerFixer RGB2HDMI Amiga HDMI Games, non-RTG A2000CPLDSlot v2.2

$75.00



68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter picture

68000 CPU Amiga 2000 Slot Adapter

$25.00