Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: lilo booting "file not found"

  1. #1

    lilo booting "file not found"

    I have win98se on partition 1,
    knoppix on partition 2, swap on partition 3.
    Turn on machine, lilo comes up, default is set to windows
    partition. If I choose knoppix, it boots fine. If I choose
    windows or just let it time-out and boot windows, I get
    the following message.
    Loading hda1
    Starting Windows 98
    File not found

    It then continues and loads win98se fine. I would like to know
    how to edit out the file that it isn't finding just to get rid
    of the "file not found" msg. Where is the file that lilo uses
    and where is it? I looked in the lilo config file but I'm afraid
    to mess with it much. All I have done is use fips to partition
    the disk and then use knoppix cd to install knoppix. Then I
    edited the lilo file to make windows the default (for the
    wife). No biggie, I just like for things to load and run without
    errors. Thanks. Please excuse my lack of knowledge.
    kenny

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Kenny, do you think you could post your /etc/lilo.conf here?

    Sounds like you have two lines calling Windows. Should be simple enough to correct.

  3. #3
    vga=791

    lba32

    boot=/dev/hda

    root=/dev/hda2

    install=/boot/boot-menu.b

    map=/boot/map

    delay=20

    prompt
    timeout=150

    append="hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi apm=power-off nomce"

    default="Windows(hda1)"

    image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.22-xfs
    label=Linux

    read-only


    image=/vmlinuz.old
    label=LinuxOLD
    read-only
    optional


    other=/dev/hda1
    label="Windows(hda1)"

    (I cut "Windowns(hda1)" from
    the last line and pasted it up
    in the default line, that is the
    only change I've made to the file.
    When I copied and pasted it here I
    deleted the # lines to save space.)
    Thanks for taking a look.
    kenny

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    I may be missing something, but the only thing that looks questionable to me is the quotes and maybe the parenthesis, I would edit your /etc/lilo.conf file (after backing it up) and change:

    default="Windows(hda1)"
    and
    label="Windows(hda1)"

    to:
    default=Windows
    and
    label=Windows

    and see if that gets rid of the error.
    Note: in linux if an error doesn't cause problems it may be best to ignore it!

    HTH

    ~rock

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    3
    Rock,
    Tried your suggested changes, didn't work.
    Now I'm going with your last comment and just ignore the error since
    it works!
    thanks for replying. Moving on to my next problem.....getting
    a logitech webcam to work. Might save that for a loooong weekend!

Similar Threads

  1. XMMS moved into "Lost & Found" on Start Menu??
    By scruffyeagle in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 05:27 AM
  2. "Cannot create regular file" ":Invalid Argume
    By bluedevlx in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-02-2004, 01:22 AM
  3. USR 56k PCI modem "busy"/"not found",rec
    By oman in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2004, 06:44 PM
  4. Diskless Install Error "block-major-2 not found"
    By phillfri in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2003, 01:52 AM
  5. you will need to edit the file "/etc/lilo.conf"
    By pat reen in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 02:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G picture

New Barebones Supermicro 5019D Server, 4C/8T Xeon D-2123T, 1U Rackmountable, 10G

$449.99



Supermicro 505-2   Server picture

Supermicro 505-2 Server

$280.00



HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD picture

HP Proliant MicroServer Gen 8 2.23GHz Xeon 16GB RAM NO SSD

$249.99



Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter picture

Supermicro E300-12C Mini 1U Barebone X12SCV-LVDS LGA1200 SNK-P0073A4 w/ Adapter

$225.00



Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W picture

Supermicro Server CSE-512L-200B 1U Chassis with X9SCL-F Core i3-2100 8GB 220W

$200.00



Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3 picture

Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3

$219.99



Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD picture

Supermicro SuperServer E300-15 - SYS-e300-9C - 16GB RAM 240GB Samsung SSD

$239.00



Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram  240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ* picture

Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*

$369.99



Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset picture

Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset

$129.99



Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC picture

Nasuni NF-50 Supermicro Server, Atom CPU C2558, @ 2.40GHz, 8GB RAM-No HDD/OS/AC

$250.00