Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Black Screen on Shutdown

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    1

    Black Screen on Shutdown

    Can someone give me a hand please? I installed knoppix to the hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite and everything works great. Only problem is most of the time when I shut down my computer or try to reboot or even log out to try and change users via X windows the screen completely goes black and I can do nothing to bring any sort of command prompt or gui up. The only thing I can do at this point is press the power button and let knoppix (or by now its debian) run up.

    Anyone know why the screen goes black? Any way I can fix this or go around it? The funny thing is sometimes it shuts down completely flawlessly but usually it will die right after I click 'ok' to reboot or halt.

    Please help me.
    I love you all.. in advance

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Sounds like you're having some issues with apm. Can you disable it in your BIOS?

    OR- if you use LILO add this to your append="" line in /etc/lilo.conf

    append="noapm" (plus whatever else is already there.

    Have you considered using an acpi patched kernel? Nothing could be easier. Have look here Or you may even want to consider using a distro w/ an acpi kernel like Mepis Yes it's Knoppix based. FWIW my Toshiba Satellite works quite nicely w/ apm or acpi but not both!

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    8
    I installed knoppix on my Compaq Presario 1200 XL 101 and all went well. But, since I "joy too much" with configuration, I decided to re install knoppix and I started to note a similar problem, black screen on shut down. Knoppix (or I have to say debian?) sends TERM and KILL signal to all process, shut down very well, but in the moment that the system should to stop and disconnect, it start again but keep on blank screen with the fan cooler running and I have to shut down manually (ATX don't make it automatically)
    Can anybody help me? I'm a very newbie in Linux, and I tried to fix it with the above solution, but didn't work. I tried reinstalling and didn't work anyway, the problem is still there.
    Thanks in advance...
    And beyond any detail, I LOVE LINUX!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Black Screen
    By vinraec in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 04:32 PM
  2. Screen goes black now?
    By Eponick in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 02:36 AM
  3. Help my screen is black
    By mperry2014 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-29-2003, 05:58 AM
  4. screen goes black... help
    By HouseOfPancakes in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 01:30 AM
  5. Black Screen after boot screen
    By Jmack0013 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-18-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP picture

SIM Bank 32 SIM Card Slots Ethernet SIM Server for GoIP

$600.00



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Cisco CP-8851-3PCC-K9= IP Phone 8851 with Multiplatform Firmware - Charcoal picture

Cisco CP-8851-3PCC-K9= IP Phone 8851 with Multiplatform Firmware - Charcoal

$60.00



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked) picture

Cisco/Linksys SPA2102 VoIP Phone Adapter Router 2FXS (Unlocked)

$17.99



Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW picture

Cisco CP-8875-K9 Video Phone 8875 IP Desk Phone Bluetooth Wi-Fi - Brand NEW

$399.99



Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth picture

Yealink MP54 - VoIP Phone - Black Teams phone Android POE WIFI Bluetooth

$49.95



Yealink SIP-T54W Verizon VoIP IP Phone 16-Line PoE Speakerphone Black picture

Yealink SIP-T54W Verizon VoIP IP Phone 16-Line PoE Speakerphone Black

$34.50