-
Senior Member
registered user
HOWTO: Change the boot logo/screen
The boot logo is a file called logo.16
It is in the boot.img. To view the boot.img : ( as root )
Code:
cp /cdrom/KNOPPIX/boot.img /tmp/
mkdir /mnt/bootimg
mount -o loop /tmp/boot.img /mnt/bootimg
Now, in /tmp/bootimg you should have :
boot.msg f1 ldlinux.sys logo.16 miniroot.gz syslinux.cfg vmlinuz
these files are for Syslinux and you should read the docs there about the display format ( relating to the f1 file and others )
the logo.16 file is a lss16 format image.
you should have the program ppmtolss16 , which turns a ppm image into a lss16 format image suitable for booting.
The image must be less than 640x480 or less. 640x400 leaves room at the bottom for the boot prompt.
It also must be 16 colors.
use the programs giftopnm or pngtopnm to change your gif or png 16 color image into pnm format, then pnmtolss16, which you can put in /tmp/bootimg.
then you can
Code:
unmount /mnt/bootimg
and then use that boot image when making the ISO file for your CD
-
re: HOWTO: change the boot logo/screen
Thanks for the howto, Eadz. I've just gone thru it myself and have some comments:
1 - Follow the steps above to get to logo.16. Then use lss16toppm exists to convert it. The command format is:
lss16toppm <logo.16 >logo16.ppm
2 - The Gimp loaded a ppm file fine.
3a - The Gimp apparently doesn't save ppms, and wants to make it a PNM if you tell it to detect format from the file extension .ppm
3b - The pnmtolss16 command isn't in the Knoppix install, and I also couldn't find it even mentioned on google. This led to a lot of wandering thru the weeds, trying to find a fast path between what The Gimp could save and lss16. Since I'm unfamiliar with lss16, pnm and ppm (and most of the other zillion formats found by grepping for 'to' or '2' in /usr/bin), and since some file formats are lossy, I don't know if I've picked wisely. I ended up going .bmp to .ppm via /usr/bin/bmptoppm then /usr/bin/ppmtolss16
3c - the command format for these is:
bmptoppm <logo16.bmp >logo16.ppm
ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16
I imagine something streamlined like
bmptoppm logo16.bmp | ppmtolss16 >logo.16
would work.
4. Now, I'm off to finish my iso build. I'll report back if my edited boot logo fails for some reason.
Last of all, there's a typo in the 2nd code block:
unmount /mnt/bootimg should be umount, without the 'n'
-
I just tried mounting the image to look around and I had to set the FS type as vfat, otherwise it gave me an error
-
You can edit the text displayed on the botton of boot screen on the file "boot.msg" at the boot image. It's ASCII, using a 640x400 image you still have room for 4 lines of text.
-
Help
My logo.16 has 76 kb, and I connot save it into boot.img because it's too big. I had 16 colors bitmap and used bmptoppm and ppmtolss16. Can you help me? Do I have to minimalize the logo.16 ?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Help

Originally Posted by
Pasq
My logo.16 has 76 kb, and I connot save it into boot.img because it's too big. I had 16 colors bitmap and used bmptoppm and ppmtolss16. Can you help me? Do I have to minimalize the logo.16 ?
You will have to either remove some stuff from the boot.img, or make your image smaller, or use isolinux instead of syslinux.
-
a
I understand that I cannot make biger file boot.img ?
-
is there a way to look at the logo.16 i made ?
because it reduces the colors to 16 colors i don't know whiche effect this has - and everytime burn a knoppix cd is to much work ..
thanks
martin krung
-
Senior Member
registered user
why don't you use vmware?
-
Here's another method to change the boot screen with fewer steps:
root@not a tty[home]# lss16toppm <logo.16 >logo16.ppm
(Now edit logo16.ppm in the Gimp, saving the file with the same name and extension.
The Gimp seems to save as pnm, but run ppmtolss16 anyway.)
root@not a tty[home]# ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16
/usr/bin/ppmtolss16: Input format error 1
(ppmtolss16 seems to detect the pnm error and produces a bmp for you instead.
Now can convert that to ppm)
root@not a tty[home]# ls
logo.16 logo16.bmp logo16.ppm
root@not a tty[home]# bmptoppm <logo16.bmp >logo16.ppm
bmptoppm: Windows BMP, 640x400x24
bmptoppm: WRITING PPM IMAGE
root@not a tty[home]# ppmtolss16 <logo16.ppm >logo.16
/usr/bin/ppmtolss16: Warning: color palette truncated (3994 colors ignored)
256000 pixels, 2560 bytes, (98.00% compression)
and there you have it.
Similar Threads
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 07-03-2004, 06:22 PM
-
By jzhai in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:10 PM
-
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-09-2004, 03:05 PM
-
By kwiat in forum The Lounge
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-13-2004, 06:47 PM
-
By Blue in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-25-2003, 07:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$352.73

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 Storage Backup for PC Mac Laptop
$29.99