-
Re: Dangerous Newbie

Originally Posted by
Trevor
Ack! I know just enough to be dangerous. This is my third time attempting linux in the past two years and the third time I have totally screwed up my Windows partition in the process.
That said, I have now finally gotten Knoppix to install on my hard-disc and dual boot! Unfortunatly, all those great things I loved about the CD edition are now gone

No internet. No access to NTFS partition. No access to my Fat32 formatted USB2.0 exteral hard drive. The sad thing is that I know that Knoppix can do these things but I have no idea how to do it.
No more an idiot than a lot of people. I just did a hd install with the new english iso. Same results as you. I do know how to fix some of these, but, It's not critical enough to screw around with it. There is no reason why we should have to reinstall the NTFS or the network interface. These should transfer with the hd install.
For example: I see on the site that someone has a technique for getting DHCP working
"There is a known problem installing Knoppix onto the hd and using dhcp. Go to /etc/network/interfaces and add the appropriate information by hand.
for those who want to know just added:
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp"
But heck, I havn't used command line stuff since MSDOS and all the commands I am familier with work differently under Linux. Can anyone help me out. I really, REALLY want to get away from Windows and the power of the "apt-get" command convinced me to try a Debian dist over SUSE but I am really having a hard time of it.
Things were better when I had access to the LinuxTag forums but since they are down the english resources for Knoppix are pretty bare.
Trevor
The "apt-get" command is supposed to be a better way of loading apps, but, neither it nor the rpm method really work as well as they need to. And, at least the command line in DOS, and, even OS/2 were familiar. I just gave up and reinstalled Mandrake. I keep trying to transition to a full time Linux desktop, Mandrake and Knoppix are great attempts at that, but, they all have 'fatal' flaws. Linux shows so much promise, but I'm beginning to believe that it's really smoke and mirrors as a desktop. Guess I'll just have to hope they continue to support W2K.
Similar Threads
-
By ceviz in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 05-04-2004, 02:24 AM
-
By Animekiksazz in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 12-14-2003, 07:29 PM
-
By myko88 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 11-22-2003, 06:44 PM
-
By Drago in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM
-
By KH in forum The Lounge
Replies: 31
Last Post: 05-25-2003, 08:26 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00

Netac 256GB SSD 2.5'' SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive 500MB/s PC/Latop
$40.00