Knoppix is released with the GPL, and the GPL states
Basically, you can legally burn lots of copies of Knoppix, and you can charge for it.Originally Posted by Gnu Public License
Can i burn this to a cd and make a lot of copies and sell it to other people.
If i can,is it legal.
Knoppix is released with the GPL, and the GPL states
Basically, you can legally burn lots of copies of Knoppix, and you can charge for it.Originally Posted by Gnu Public License
I believe this is completely gpl'd so you probably can make copies and sell them. However, the ethical thing to do would be to forward part of the proceeds to the development staff of Knoppix (which may only officially be K Knopper).
The usual license would allow you to charge for the cost of time and materials. Charging more, while allowed, would seem to be wrong by the core of the Linux attitude. Also, you might not profit so well when others find that they can get it for free![]()
ACTUALLY....
from the download aggrement : ( on my site and Knopper's )
Reason being not everything is released under GPL. Some thing have different licences. I guess if non-free is in the sources list then the'll be problems. Some licences prohimit for-profit distribition. I guess it would be good to get a list of the non-free software on the cd.IF YOU PLAN TO COMMERCIALLY USE OR DISTRIBUTE (AND SELL) THE SOFTWARE, YOU HAVE TO ACQUIRE THE NECESSARY LICENSES AND PERMISSIONS FROM ALL SOFTWARE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS OF NON-FREE SOFTWARE COMPONENTS, OR REMOVE THESE COMPONENTS BEFORE DISTRIBUTING THE SOFTWARE.
I thought Klaus said everything he put on the ISO is GPL. That disclaimer applies to a demo CD you create by remastering the KNOPPIX ISO. Then you have to make sure you're not violating copyright law if the software you're demoing is not GPL.
That's my understnading from the www.knoppix.com site.
BTW, I sell burnt CDs based on KNOPPIX on my site to fellow Computer Science teachers who don't have a fast connection to the net or don't have a CD burner....
Regards,
wellOriginally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
deb http://ftp2.de.debian.org/pub/debian-non-US sid/non-US main contrib non-free
is in the sources.list... I think weather or not he installed anything from non-free, or if that may dissalow redistribution, I think the disclamer is basicly saying Its your responsibility to make sure that you're not distributing anything you're not suposed to.
example - some crypto. Export it from germany - fine
Export it from US - not so good...
I'm not saying that there is non-free/non-us software that can't be redistributed, but that you should check before distributing it. Esp from US!

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00
Dell PowerEdge FC430 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2630v4 20 Cores FX2 FX2s No RAM/HDD
$119.99
Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working
$149.99
Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB
$149.99
NETAPP HCI NAF-1701 SuperMicro Server 4X BLADE H410C 8X GOLD 5120 4 NODE SERVER
$1499.97
Dell Poweredge C6400 24x 2.5ββ 2x 2400W 4x C6420 Nodes H330 | 2x SFP | 8x Trays
$799.99
LOT (8) Cisco UCS UCSB-B200-M5 2x6248R 24 core 3.0G 24x64g DDR4-2933 ram
$112000.00
Cisco B200 M3 2x E5-2670V2 10 Core 8x 16GB-128GB Ram Blade Server VIC1240 14900R
$399.00
Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR
$96.60
Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS
$578.08